Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 4 Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 18,228Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6172 Posts
Posted 09/04/2018   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too have been picking up the imprint copies as they come by. I've even gone as far as over paying for them but I just don't see the imperforate imprints from any plate surface that often.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 09/04/2018   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just don't see the imperforate imprints from any plate surface that often.

They are tough items to find.
When one does show up, it is often hard to win the bid.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 09/16/2018   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Take a look at this stamp.
It was bought as a #7.
Does the bottom right plume indicate Relief "C" of plate 4?
The only thing close would be 4-5L2 with that short of a plume.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
Posted 09/17/2018   04:49 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Zero chance of being from Plate 4.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 09/17/2018   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What indicates that it cannot be plate 4?
What plate would you suggest I start looking? Relief T or A?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 09/17/2018   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Relief A plate 2. There are several positions if I recall correctly, with a short LR plume.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
Posted 09/18/2018   8:45 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plate 4 stamps are immediately identifiable by knowing what the scrolls look like.
Valued Member
12 Posts
Posted 09/18/2018   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pauljg20 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What's The Best Franklin Blue You All Seen? Is There Sheets Out There?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5408 Posts
Posted 09/18/2018   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Huh?
Valued Member
12 Posts
Posted 09/18/2018   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pauljg20 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1 cent Franklin? I call it the Franklin Blues
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1412 Posts
Posted 10/27/2018   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased a bulk lot at a recent auction on Stamps Auction Network that was described as "Scott A5 designs" (no Scott numbers specified). I could tell by the image (though the stamps overlapped) that not all were #24. So far I've found #18 (33L12), #23 (plating TBD), and this one, which I've plated as 86L4 (Type IIIA, Scott #22). Though unfortunately scissor-separated by a user who had no use for those new-fangled holes in the stamps, a faint line running slightly NW-SE between the arrow tips can be seen (maybe not so well in the attached photo).

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gotta love those A5's.

I don't know that I've seen a bulk lot of 1c stamps described as such. Usually there is just enough value in such a lot, as to warrant even the slightest attempt at further identification.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 11/19/2018   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For future reference, there is some good discussion on top row plate 4 here:

http://goscf.com/t/64400
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1412 Posts
Posted 12/03/2018   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone notice this beautiful example of 7L4 which closed on eBay the other day, masquerading as a #9? Final bid: $565.00.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 12/03/2018   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Saw it, loved it, but was too pricey in the end.
Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 18,228Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05