Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 4 Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 18,225Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jaxom, what do you think of this stamp listed on eBay now. They list it as a Sc 21. I believe it is a 22, type IIIa, plate 11 or 12.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that 7L4 is amazing. If its sound, that is. If so, then the sale price was cheap.

Top row imperforate plate 4 stamps that look like that, and are sound, are top-shelf items.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
caper - you are correct.

That is an A relief from Plate 11, and I don't believe for a second that there is a real break, or one large enough in the bottom line to qualify as a III. Its a IIIA. The apparent bottom-line (BL) break could simply be design scraped off intentionally, or accidentally - or neither, and simply be an optical illusion. Without seeing that stamp in person, I'd call it a IIIA, BL complete.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it is a type IIIa. The perforating may have caused the small break. Even so, I do not think that small of a break would qualify for a III.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a full sheet of plate 4 left pane from the Ashbrook Photos, just missing the selvedge. The sheet image is approximately 1200dpi. This copy is about 150dpi (colorized).
It is hard to imagine what this sheet would be worth today.

Edited by jaxom100 - 12/09/2018 7:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1060 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   8:11 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a type II, Scott 20, but have a look please.

(apologies for posting as a separate topic - just got my signals crossed - I've mailed the admin to delete that.)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   8:18 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but from Plate 12 not 4.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1060 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   8:22 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, that confuses me - being completely novice in 1c Franklins, I had the impression all type IIs were plate 4. I see it now in Scott. Cool beans. Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Top row A relief plate 12. Ty II.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1060 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   9:55 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Much appreciated. I've gone through the plate 12 L relief A images, and no match. So, plate 12 Right it would seem.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1016 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   10:50 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had the impression all type IIs were plate 4. I see it now in Scott. Cool beans. Thanks.

Just completed my quest this past summer to collect a Type II from every possible plate.... 1E, 1L, 2, 3, 4, 11 and 12.

Not that difficult-- I bought a horrible copy of 5L4, and was fortunate to purchase a 4R1L from Mr. Sinclair.

Where I was really fortunate was that Dudley noticed a plate mark on my Plate 11 that confirmed it as 10R11, so I've got copies from all 7 plates that are plated, which isn't as easy....I've never exhibited in our local show here in Nashville, but this one might just make a decent 1-framer!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
816 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

I know nothing about plating or identifying plate positions on stamps. General question regarding perf errors on this type of stamp for the forum. I've read that perf errors during this early period were common. Is the stamp below Scott 24?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
Posted 12/22/2018   12:02 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Scott #24 from the bottom row. Most perf issues that I have seen happened on the bottom rows of the sheet. They are certainly plentiful but encountered infrequently enough to make them interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
Posted 12/22/2018   12:07 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What you could probably say is rare, are double horizontal perfs.
Valued Member
5 Posts
Posted 12/22/2018   12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps_82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
E Relief Positions 83, 84, 85L4

Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 18,225Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 3.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05