Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 4 Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 18,234Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar Of The Community
United States
816 Posts
Posted 12/22/2018   01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I read that if the sheet wasn't sitting right they would just do it over again and the first rows to be perfed would end up with multiple perfs such as this. I assume the vertical perfs were done first and the horizontal perfs second.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 12/22/2018   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like they were breaking in a new trainee on the perf machine!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 12/24/2018   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Missed out on this 3R4 a short while back on eBay. Anyone else see/bid on this one? Went for $129.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 12/25/2018   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those top row imperf curl positions are nice items.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to set the record straight, the stamp above is 4R4, and not 3R.

Both positions have the same foreign matter on the transfer roll causing the curl in head variety.

I suspect that whoever plated this as 3R fell victim to one of the (somewhat) well known errors in the Neinken book. The curl is drawn wrong on 4R in the book. In reality it looks like 3R. Its the same foreign matter so it would be odd if it looked as different as it's drawn.

I'll post some other position details later when I'm not mobile.

This doesn't make the stamp any less cool - both positions show the variety.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Mark, that was my plating job...missed it by that much! Was just beat out on the bidding too!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 01/04/2019   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally getting around to posting some details about the 4R4 vs 3R4 plating.

Ornament F is strong on 3R4, but weaker on 4R4.
There is "stuff" to the left of the left scroll on 4R4.
There is some faint UR corner vertical blurring off ornament L and above on 4R4.
3R4 has a dot in the head, above the curl.
3R4 has a vertical scratch in the left plume.
The guide dot alignment for 4R4 is ever so slightly right of where the guide dot on 3R4 is. (GD on stamp above not visible)

Here is a 3-4R4 pair from Siegel's site for reference:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1016 Posts
Posted 01/20/2019   11:16 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After being disappointed in seeing Brady win again tonight, I saw this on eBay..itm number is 401545314609.

There is a PFC attached stating that this stamp is from Plate 4 with a red carrier cancel. The seller goes on to state that it's the first Type II on cover from Plate 4 with a carrier cancel.

I'm not a plate 4 guru by any means, but with the blurring at the top, and the incompleteness of the top ornaments, it looks like plate 2 (improbable 3).

How would PF miss this badly? Or is it a possible forgery?

Or am I wrong on this one? Or could it be Plate 12 with the secret mark removed?
Thanks! Ray
Edited by ray.mac - 01/20/2019 11:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 01/21/2019   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye Ray.
Looks like an A relief from plate 2. Ty II.

Ty IIs from plate 4 are top row and there is a stamp above this. Kinda hard to miss. Of course the relief doesn't match plate 4 either.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 01/21/2019   03:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is being sold by "harvard-mba". I have had issue with that jerk before. I questioned him about the catalog number of one of his Franklins and his response was to block me from contacting him or bidding on any of his items. Do not trust this guy. Unfortunately, eBay does not allow me to block his items from my searches, so I have to look at them. I see one of his two ids, and I just skip over them. He is also "georgetown-law". I know this because both were blocked to me at the same time.
Learn More...
8814 Posts
Posted 01/21/2019   03:54 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I stay well clear of this seller due to some of the listings I have seen. Additionally, anytime I see someone who feels the need to put their 'credentials' in their eBay name I am dubious. I assume that the eBay names 'YouCanTrustMe', 'IHaveaPhD', and 'HonestStampDealer' were already taken.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 01/21/2019   04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is really funny is that the dealer has this listed on his stamp sales: "The accuracy of our listings is of paramount importance to us and to you. If you see any errors in our listing, please send us a message and we will quickly correct any error." That is why I contacted him. He rejected my advice that he was wrong and blocked me. I do not trust him. Why would anyone need two eBay names to sell the same items? Fraud. This is the guy that has me avoiding any listings with the ASDA logo.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1412 Posts
Posted 01/21/2019   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have also heard from knowledgeable sources that harvard-mba is a chopper (destroyer of classic multiples).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1412 Posts
Posted 02/05/2019   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp was sold as a Scott #20, but it is clearly a Plate 4 Relief F example. There is just enough of the plumes and scrolls showing to make me believe it is from a bottom-row position. I have identified it as 96L4 (Type Ia). Unfortunately the left-margin blurs characteristic of this position are not visible, but it has the small blip of color in the medallion oval under the TA of POSTAGE shown in the Doporto Archive as well as a mark in the P of POSTAGE shown there as well as in examples from the Siegel database. Comments and thoughts welcome.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 02/05/2019   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
96L4 is a good match.

Without even plating it, the LR plume size is mostly a give-away that its a bottom row stamp, given that its clearly an F-relief. Position 59R4 on the 6th row has a large LR plume, unlike other 6th row stamps, but this isn't that. Nice find.
Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 18,234Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 3.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05