Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 4 Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 18,232Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 02/06/2019   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great find, beautiful stamp. 96L4 looks like a good match. My only concern is a spot on the left side that looks like a repair or a piece was replaced. It may be nothing but deserves a closer look.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1412 Posts
Posted 02/06/2019   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jaxom, that was a folded-over perf tip (came to me that way). There is no evidence of a repair, though the stamp does have a small thin and a corner crease. Here it is after being soaked and pressed.

Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 02/23/2019   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
7-8-9L4

The dot under N of One is recurring on several positions. Except for 1R4 they are not shown on the mats in Neinken. The line in the left margin of 7L4 is not shown as well.

This strip was offered on eBay as the more common #22 instead of #20 plate 4.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 02/24/2019   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
njs - Very nice strip. Way to go.

Thanks for mentioning that 'dot'. I checked an 8L4 that I have, and it definitely shows the dot.

Also, the 1c plating archive points out that it is consistent across: 6-7-8-9-10L4 and 1R4. After some looking around, that seems correct to me.

That is a very useful plating elimination feature for top row plate 4 stamps. Dot or no-dot.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1016 Posts
Posted 03/12/2019   11:42 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My first Type IIIA Imperf!
Bought it this weekend, and when I looked at the bottom, for a microsecond, I thought it could've been a Ic, but alas, not nearly complete enough on the left plume. Pretty sure that this is 87R4. Scratches down the left side margin are a match and the 3 marks under the "E" in "ONE" are a dead match. I thought I did well for $300, and it came with a PF cert.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1412 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
looks good, ray. I think I can also see the heavy dot under the N of ONE. Did the cert identify it as #8A?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ray - nice going. That stamp is "almost" a Ic. About as close as you can get. The faintness of the lower left plume on the inside and bottom parts, plus the incomplete lower left scroll keep it from being a Ic. Its a IIIA.

87R4 is a good possibility. I've learned to take my time and quadruple check plate 4 platings, so I'll not go so far as to say that is correct, but it may well be.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1016 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   9:14 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dudley, it was submitted as a 6var, and certed as a 8A. Close, but no cigar...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
87R4 looks good.

Here is the reference - Siegel Sale 994, Lot 1086.

https://siegelauctions.com/lots.php...994-lot-1086
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1016 Posts
Posted 03/24/2019   1:51 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking for some help on this one. I've had it for a couple of years now-- Winston, you may remember me showing you this one.

Agree that it's trimmed so close, it would be impossible to call it an imperf Type IIIA or possible Type III, but hate the idea that someone could've trimmed some bad perfs to make it look like an imperf.

Here's the full image:

And a blown up top and bottom:

I'm sure it's a "B" relief, and has some similarities to a few positions, but not a dead match for any on Doporto's site.

Best possibility I can see could maybe be 20L4, with the marks in "OST". I can see the fainter mark in "O", and the gouge at the top of the "T". On some of Doporto's examples there is a gouge in the "S" and some not. Blurs above where the line would be could be supportive of this position also, maybe?

There's a faint scratch across the top of "E" in ONE that isn't listed anywhere, and I can only wish that there was an extra 2mm at the bottom!

Thoughts anyone? Thanks for your help. You guys are all the best!
Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 03/26/2019   04:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Raymac, I am still looking at this one. It not an easy plate.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 03/26/2019   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some B relief candy and for reference on Ray's stamp.

4-7L4 / 14-17L4 :

Also: Siegel 1006-1141:

https://siegelauctions.com/lots.php...006-lot-1141
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 03/26/2019   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
17L4 is a good candidate.

I'll stare at it some later.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A Tale of Two Stamps

10L4 with PSAG cert grade 90. Priced on eBay at $2900.00

10L4 with Doporto cert. Purchased on eBay for $56.00

Platers can't be choosers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 07/16/2019   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
njs - Hi. Good going.

The real plating challenge is in trying to plate stamps with 0, 1 or only 2 margins.

Four margin stamps are child's play.
Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 18,232Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 4.68 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05