Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

China Stamps ~on Steiner Pages.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28155 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   05:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
21st Century Auctions Victoria Australia 21st April 2007

K16 Shanghai China $2 Red on$1 brown purple $275 $325

K16 Shanghai China 60c black on 30c orange $130 $150
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28155 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Taiwan.
Taipei registration Label.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
726 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod

These are difficult to find with good centering. Your two fare much better than mine.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28155 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Lovely collection there Gettin on..........
I do not own the stamps I showed, I had not seen them before (Auction lot)
Yours are fabulous... Lucky you.

Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gettinold - Nice group of stamps there. The price of these Shanghai China overprints definitely shoots up with better centering. Your set still looks good to my eyes.

Rod - Thanks for showing the reference work by Harvey Bounds illustrating the cancellations used on these stamps. Prior to this period, regular USA definitives were used in China and the duplex cancel used was different in the way the year date appeared. They only used a single digit for the year. Below is a piece I found in a stamp dealer's plastic tub of stamps for five cents each. The 7 in the cancel is for the year 1907. My second scan, snipped from eBay, shows the same cancel with a 1907 Rumford Falls, Maine, USA (receiving) machine cancel applied, as proof it was 1907.

This is in my China collection, as a back-of-the-book item. I wish I had the entire cover, known a "red-band" cover for the red stripe down the middle. The whole cover would be priced at maybe the $40-$60 range, instead of 5 cents for the clipping. There is a lesson to be learned here, for all of you new to the hobby.

Linus

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28155 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Linus,
I had to Google "Red Band Cover"
Image: Stamp Circuit Auctions.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28155 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Abacus Auctions Australia 2018.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scanned below is another piece from my own "hodge-podge" China collection that I found "as is" in the back of an old album I bought long ago. Someone clipped the back of an airmail cover and glued it to a piece of stationery paper, preserving a snapshot of the hyper-inflation postal rates in China after WWII.

You save them as you find them,
Linus

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05