Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Transportation Series

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 4,330Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 02/07/2018   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sleepy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This series (two groups - regular and coil) were distributed in batches and thus appear in albums in different years.
I intend to combine them onto a single group of pages. I wonder, has anyone else done this ?
The same for the prominent American series. Those batches would look far better in one place.
Again, has anyone tried this ?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
657 Posts
Posted 02/07/2018   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I put them all in the same place. But then I feel free to change the album a lot. I add pages, I move pages around. It's my collection and I'll organize it my way.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1375 Posts
Posted 02/07/2018   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In many cases, I organize lengthy definitive series by denomination, regardless of issue date.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7722 Posts
Posted 02/07/2018   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Transportation Series was one series, no matter what Scott says. They were the definitive (coil)series, starting in 1981 and lasting for some 15 years. As a series, it is very impressive if taken together as Sleepy suggests

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 02/07/2018 5:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3207 Posts
Posted 02/07/2018   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott is not saying the Transportation series is more than one series but they are broken into groups for catalogue reasons. They do not hold large blocks of numbers for series to fill it. Most definitive series since Liberty are broken up in to some degree. Scott also does not want to go back and renumber and having to keep replacing pages in albums and supplements.

I would prefer to be in one group but can understand why it does not happen these days.

The same thing happens with single designs like the Purple Heart with all its varieties scattered over the years.
Al
Edited by angore - 02/07/2018 5:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7722 Posts
Posted 02/07/2018   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore, I realize hy. But lots of folks do not - they advertise some coils as belonging to series 1 or 2. That is confusing, especially if the thing is read by a newbie.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 02/08/2018   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At first I albummed(?) my Transportation, Americana, Liberty, Great & Prominent Americans series issues as a group in a separate & unique album. This left gaps in my year US albums so I just bought some duplicates, placed them in the year of issue albums and looks great from both. When cataloging, I place the issues in the year of issue which causes some havoc because the Scott Numbers are all over the place. I did not do this with the Black Heritage, Legends of Hollywood, or other series issues but rather just placed them in the issue year albums. FYI, the USPS annual Guide to US Stamps indexes their issues by series as well as by subject. These at times do not follow the Scott series identification but the index does provide aome good references for series issues & durations.
Valued Member
143 Posts
Posted 02/08/2018   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a "spot-filler" so I put the stamps where the editors of the album have put them. On several series, though, I created my own custom pages to group them together. It helps to have duplicates.
Here's an example:

All of my Transportation coils currently are held in stock sheets. I haven't figured out yet how I want to arrange those, as I need to get more info on all of the varieties and possible plate numbers.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
Posted 02/08/2018   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just file as the Mystic album goes. Even though we don't have engraved stamps here, I still think this was one of the nicer USA sets.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 02/08/2018   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GrandpaJohn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still flyspecking mine but when I do put them into an album it will be in denomination order, then Scott# order (oldest to newest). Makes the most sense to me visually.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7722 Posts
Posted 02/08/2018   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@MrEos, for the Transportation Coils and their plate numbers and major varieties go to www.pnc3.org .

peter

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7619 Posts
Posted 02/08/2018   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience is that kids LOVE transportation coils. Odd values, vehicles they have never seen.......just throw several hundred on a table and let them have at it.
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
Posted 02/09/2018   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always loved this series. It never seemed like it would be difficult to obtain them all, but that seems to be the case. My albums aren't in front of me at the moment, so I don't know which ones I'm missing. What about anyone else...do you have them all, and were some hard to find?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7722 Posts
Posted 02/09/2018   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some specific plate numbers are harder to get than others. And even though I have all the regular issues, there are still numerous varieties that I do not have - some I have never even seen!

Peter
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 02/10/2018   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sleepy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And will you then separate the regular issues into one batch and pre-cancels into another ?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7722 Posts
Posted 02/10/2018   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No. It is one series.
Thee way I collect the Transportation Coils is that I have one album for all of the early, Cottrell printed stamps. That album will hold all of the 4 cent stamps, tagged and precancelled.
I have one dedicated album that holds all of the individual stamps in order of issuance - it starts with the 18 cent Surrey. It holds just one example of this stamp, two if there is a precancel. It also holds an actual postally used cover with the stamp on it, two I there is a precancel!

Peter
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 4,330Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05