Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Transportation Series

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 4,332Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 02/25/2018   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GrandpaJohn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whew, still having fun but flyspecking the Transpo Coils series is certainly harder on the eyes than I thought it would be! Maybe the harder part of it all is trying to figure out which of the tiny errors/smudges/missing ink etc etc are worthy of setting aside and which are not. I can see myself getting really anal in this if I'm not careful. Oh well, I shall endeavor to persevere. :)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2673 Posts
Posted 02/25/2018   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I shall endeavor to persevere.

A Lone Watie quote?
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 02/25/2018   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GrandpaJohn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yuppers, and appropriate for this series when flyspecking!
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 02/28/2018   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sleepy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is flyspecking ?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 02/28/2018   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking for very small varieties in stamps, like dots, scratches etc.

Peter
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
Posted 02/28/2018   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another thing that may be noted about the transportation series is the popularity of plate number collecting in that series. I'd say 90% of my plate number coil multiples are from the transportation series. I was really disappointed that the way to collect them jumped from strips of 3 with the plate number in the middle to strips of 5 with 2 stamps on each side of the numbered one. Oh well. Just move on. Cheers! Wolf-==-
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3207 Posts
Posted 02/28/2018   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can still collect 3's.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 02/28/2018   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampwolf, it really never "jumped" from PS3 to PS5. The plate strips of 5 (PS5) were very early on preferred by those of us who collected the so-called gap strips, strips that show the precancel gap. Lots of folks still collect them as strips of three. Even strips of two and four are collected, as well as much longer ones. Since the post office has taken to issueing coilstamps with four, five or even six different stamps, lengths of nine or eleven are common.
I forgot. It really does not matter - you need to collect the way you like!

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 02/28/2018 5:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2759 Posts
Posted 02/28/2018   9:50 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
plate strips of 5 still predominates, and I know no one who seeks plate strips of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 02/28/2018   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I find a variety that I do not have I will get if on a PS4. I have several in my collection

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 06/21/2018   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have Transportation coils across the board been dropping in value?

I have most of the Transportation coils singles in used and MNH. I have a few plate numbers in singles, line pairs, and strips of 3 and 5. I am looking at a number of sales on eBay but I have no access to current values to go by in order to pay a fair price. Prices are all over the map. About 5 years ago a did fine values for #1903 line pairs of plate 5 and 6 for around $130.00. I have had those since issued. (I paid 18.6 cents each pair.)

However, on eBay I saw both plates 5 and 6 in strips of 4 with line pair in the middle for less than $20. Neither of he two were well center so that may explain the low price/value. I have a Linn's 2002 price list that shows both plate numbers in PNC3 at $245.00 each and PNC5 at $285.00 each.

Have PNC3 or PNC5 dropped that much? Seems extremely low even for poorly centered.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 06/21/2018   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, generally speaking they have. But good strips are still very much sought after. You can get a values list from PNC3. You can also find PNC dealers on the PNC3 website, www.pnc3.org .

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 06/21/2018   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Peter but I have looked all over pnc3 website and cannot find any values list. Does one have to be a member to access price lists?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 06/21/2018   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quigngt, it is available by clicking on the "PNC3 items for sale" button and then go to the "PNC3 Catalog Publications Order Form".

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 06/21/2018   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just now tried your suggestion, Peter. Clicking those two links only shows a form to buy publications and catalogs. No individual Scott numbered stamps and values are shown. Gives me the impression that pnc3.org is not interested in doing business with non-members.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 4,332Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05