Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Philatelic Souvenir Cards

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 8,079Next Topic
Page: of 4
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 02/11/2018   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod, that's going to be a long list before we're done!

Greg,
I can slip them over to a Spreadsheet, meaning I can get say 120 on a small scan.

COMPEX 73

Note: I have 2 of these, if any interest.

AMPHILEX 77

Note: Marginal Pencilled notes $6 #56 ?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 02/11/2018 03:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm actually working on my own spreadsheets for all engraved U.S. souvenir cards. The Bureau of Engraving & Printing has issued more than 300 so far, the US Postal Service issued 70, and American Bank Note Co. produced around 130. Maybe half this total were philatelic cards. So there are a LOT of varieties out there!

Btw, the leading dealer of souvenir cards is Ken Barr (he's nearly the only dealer). His website shows images of nearly every card issued -- http://www.kenbarr.com/usps.html.
Edited by GregAlex - 02/14/2018 8:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3551 Posts
Posted 02/16/2018   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You should all be ashamed of yourselves for showing me these great items. I have enough trouble paring down my accumulation into a collection without someone showing me something else to collect. Shame on you. (Very nice cards though - wish I had some) - Jeff
Edited by jhlovell - 02/16/2018 10:39 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 02/16/2018   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Btw, the leading dealer of souvenir cards is Ken Barr (he's nearly the only dealer). His website shows images of nearly every card issued -- http://www.kenbarr.com/usps.html.

Thank you Greg, excellent.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 02/18/2018   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple more show-cancelled USPS souvenir cards.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 02/20/2018   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

United States / Canada.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 02/25/2018   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think collectors of U.S. classics would really like some of the USPS cards. These feature enlarged reprints produced from the original plates and really show off the fine engraving on these stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 03/16/2018   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's an interesting story behind these two souvenir cards. These were recent "discoveries" and were just assigned SCCS catalog numbers (SO-107A and B) after being issued more than 25 years ago.

Both cards were printed by American Bank Note Co. and issued in 1992 by World Wide Classics Inc. (WWCI) to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Columbus landing in the New World. (This anniversary resulted in more official cards released in 1992 than any other year.)

WWCI was a shady operation, grossly overpricing stamps and covers and telemarketing them as "investments" to unsuspecting buyers. These souvenir cards were another scheme by WWCI owner Ronald Schaefer.

Card A shows two "proofs from original dies" of Chile stamps portraying Columbus: a 1 centavo from 1901 and a 20 centavo from 1904. A set of 11 genuine specimen stamps with punch holes were affixed to the open areas of the card, which was then secured in a golden presentation album.

Card A was sold for an astronomical amount I think the asking price was in the $500 range. (Recently the same set of specimen stamps was offered on eBay for $66.) The text on Card A mentions that the specimens "only became available to collectors upon the sale of the American Bank Note Archives in 1990." I suspect WWCI purchased these in sheets in an ABN Archive auction then broke them up for use on the cards.

Card B depicts a single Chilean Columbus proof stamp from 1901 but has no stamps attached. I don't know what it sold for, but it may have been available only as part of a set.

Both cards appear to have had limited printings of 350 each; each has an open spot on the back for individual serial numbers, along with the typical certification statement found on other ABNC collector products.

What may have disrupted WWCI's marketing of these cards was an investigation by the Federal Trade Commission. In 1993, the FTC levied a $10 million fine on the company for "misrepresenting to investors the value of the stamp collections they sold by up to 10 times the true value," according to an L.A. Times article. The company was forced to liquidate its assets, which the FTC used to repay some consumer and creditor losses. This liquidation probably included the Columbus souvenir cards, which may be why they dropped off the radar for a couple decades.

Despite this set-back Schaefer did not give up his scheming. In 2000, after another investigation by the FBI and FTC, Schaefer was convicted of mail and wire fraud related to the sale of Disney animation art. He eventually served three years in prison for the crimes.
Edited by GregAlex - 03/17/2018 03:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 03/25/2018   03:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a card that may interest BOB collectors of War Savings stamps. The Bureau regularly put out these cards to thank employees who contributed to their annual savings bond campaign. This also happens to be the only known official souvenir card that was issued with rounded corners.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 04/20/2018   03:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are also numismatic cards that might appeal to philatelic collectors. Here's an example: this card was show-cancelled with eagle-themed stamps on all three days of the event.

Edited by GregAlex - 04/20/2018 03:25 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 05/25/2018   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

36 Cards to Date.

INTERPEX 72

WESTPEX .......(Unknown Date)

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 05/25/2018   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Not sure if this card qualifies

APEX 73

NAPEX 73

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 05/25/2018   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only Westpex card was issued in 1971.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 05/25/2018   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Chip.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 05/28/2018   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure if this card qualifies.

You bet. Apex is a USPS card, printed by the BEP. The Inverted Jenny is much larger than the original but it is engraved. Napex shows the Jennies at original size, minus denomination. That one was issued directly by the Bureau of Engraving & Printing.
Edited by GregAlex - 05/28/2018 12:29 am
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 8,079Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05