Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thematic : Umbrellas on Stamps.  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1869 Posts
Posted 10/09/2018   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For World Post Day, the 9th of October: The first large post office building in Stralsund, on the northern coast of Germany, was opened in 1888. Unfortunately the ornate spires of the facade and the decorative roof did not survive the bombing of 1944, but the rest of the building was restored. Charity stamp of 1991.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1869 Posts
Posted 10/09/2018   01:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another one for World Post Day: Parisians taking public transportation run by the postal services in 1890. Charity stamp, Day of the stamp, 1969. (I wonder if that is the old post office building in the background.)

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1869 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   01:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The royal umbrella held up behind the musician signifies someone of high rank. King David playing his harp in a 15th century manuscript depiction from Ethiopia. Even today harps are made in a very similar design to the one the King is playing. stamp of 1972
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1869 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   02:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At first you don't see the umbrella Becassine has in the stamp honoring her, but she always has it along, even when she's not carrying it. Becassine is the heroine in a French comic strip, appearing for the first time in 1905. She is considered one of the first female protagonists in the history of French comics. The stamp also honors the illustrator Joseph Pinchon (1871-1953). 2005
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23796 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   04:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You do some lovely work, Kris.
That last post was nice.
Bravo!

Beccasina............

d7dPVz-DsPw
Edited by rod222 - 10/11/2018 04:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1869 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Traditional royal dance in the Philippines: Princess Gandigan rock dance. The bamboo poles are moved to the music and the dancers must be very sure on their feet. stamp of 1963

Hi Rod, Thanks for the cute rendition of the Becassine song and I'm glad you are enjoying your umbrellas. There are two VietNamese stamps which would be nice to add: 1993 and 2000, do you have any way of getting them? Greetings, K.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23796 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   01:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
do you have any way of getting them?

Hi Kris,
my operation does not allow for that.
being a Worldwide collector, unable to discriminate, I only take stamps that pass my desk, (Turkey aside)
I have the Umbrella database, and just tick off those that arrive.

I just received $6 worth of mixed "loose world starter lot" from US (Postage $20)
That shall keep me busy for 3 weeks.
I cannot even keep up with "Teapots on stamps"
Keep up the good work.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1869 Posts
Posted 10/13/2018   12:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope Myrtle Beach wasn't damaged too badly by the hurricanes this year. The South Carolina stamp also shows Rainbow Row in Charleston. This is one of the 50 'Greetings from' stamps, one for each state, that were issued in a single large pane in 2002. New Jersey appeared on an earlier posting.

Hi Rod, You mention an umbrella database - what does it look like? I asked about the VietNamese stamps because you at some point said you collect them. Greetings, K.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1869 Posts
Posted Yesterday   02:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Gold Coast on the east coast of Australia has some amazing high rises - I wonder when they will be affected by high-rising sea levels. Tourism stamp for 2004.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23796 Posts
Posted Yesterday   07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kris,

Quote:
what does it look like?

Standard Microsoft Works V4.5
(Easiest and Fastest database on the planet)
Similar to the Teapots on stamps database I posted.

Quote:
I wonder when they will be affected by high-rising sea levels. Tourism stamp for 2004.

I also wonder.
It's the small Island nations I fear for, the most.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1869 Posts
Posted Today  5 Hrs 30 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp that was issued by Israel in 2001 calling attention to the need for coastal conservation is unusual because the border of the stamp is designed to look torn! (And one wouldn't want even a stamp to look like that.)

Rod, Yes, beautiful coastal regions will be threatened, even in the Mediterranean. So you add to the database as you go along - does it have any that aren't posted yet? K.
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05