Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thematic : Umbrellas on Stamps.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 31
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2072 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cheerful painting by Marc Chagall (1887-1985) of "The Cow with a Parasol" appeared on a commemorative stamp of Bhutan for the artist's 100th birthday.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2072 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mozambique (or an agency) chose Chagall's happy "Cow with a Parasol" for the stamp honoring the artist's 125th birthday.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24961 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   01:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Wuh" is for......

Western Australia
Wombat
Water
Waltzing Matilda
Wine Bottle
Wattle Sprig
WACA on Cricket Bat (Western Australian Cricket Association)
"Willow" affectionate name for any Cricket Bat.
Wildflowers (Dubious pincushion )

No Sc# available at this time.

Edited by rod222 - 01/09/2019 01:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1276 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   02:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The thirsty flower is a Waratah, being given relief by a Water hose.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2072 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   04:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dahomey issued an airmail stamp commemorating 100 years of the international meteorological organization, 1973. It includes several icons for weather conditions: perhaps one umbrella is for rainy days, the other for providing shade. Note emblem of the World Meteorological Organization.

Hi Aussies, W is also for weather! Very important when considering umbrellas. Fun to see the wambat again - he visited here already on page 7, but is such a nice creature that he wanted to come again. Glad to see you are still enjoying the thread. K.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24961 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The thirsty flower is a Waratah, being given relief by a Water hose.

Quote:
W is also for weather!

I am humbled....The gals are a lot smarter than guys here.
(A bit sad I didn't get the Waratah)

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2072 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Solomon Islands (or an agency for them) issued a sheet of four paintings by American impressionists in 2016. One of them shows "Woman seated in a Garden" by F. C. Frieseke (1874-1939). The similarity of his style to that of French impressionists is obvious.

Hi Rod, Are you still making a database? K.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2072 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Colin Campbell Cooper (18561937) was an American impressionist painter, renowned for his paintings of architecture, especially of skyscrapers in NYC and other large cities. His painting "Summer" is much more like those of his French contemporaries. Solomon Islands (or an agency for that country, 2016)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24961 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   02:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hi Rod, Are you still making a database? K.

133 stamps....

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2072 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Making a Chinese umbrella requires great skill and endless patience. Stamp of 1993, Taiwan, from a set featuring traditional crafts. They are actually like works of art, especially when painted, for practical use.

Hi Rod, Very impressive!! K.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2072 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A parasol seen from above: the parasol of Buddha and the Bodhi tree. Frequently a statue of Buddha, protected by a parasol, is placed beneath a Bodhi tree. stamp of 1956

Hi Rod, I wanted to print your list, but I don't know how. The first one did work. K.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24961 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   01:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hi Rod, I wanted to print your list, but I don't know how. The first one did work

Hello Kris,
the advantage of an image database, I can print a list in 2 seconds.
If you wish, offer me a suitable email addy, and I'll drop a list off for you. (editable)
It is not what I generally use as a naming convention, but here it is in its unadulterated form. (or part thereof) (If you want it)

Caveat: I only use 1980's software, you may not be able to open an MSWorks word processor doc, MS Word may do.

Edited by rod222 - 01/11/2019 01:45 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24961 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   01:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A parasol seen from above:

I would have never guessed that. I thought it was an icon of the Buddhist "The Wheel of Life"
We have a Bodhi tree at our temple.
Edited by rod222 - 01/11/2019 01:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2072 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Buddha Shakyamuni was born of royal parents in an area that is now in Nepal. In 2006 Nepal celebrated his 2550th birthday and issued a brightly colored stamp on which he is shown with his royal umbrella - maybe it has pearls around the edge.

(Hi Rod, I also wondered what the round object in the India stamp was - looked it up on several sites and indeed it is a parasol. K.)
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2072 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sairey Gamp, that marvelous character in the story of Martin Chuzzlewit, by Charles Dickens, had a rather large umbrella (but then again, she had quite a circumference). Stamp design like a typical pub-sign, so often seen on the isles. 1970
Page: of 31 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05