Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Antique American Stamp Machine Discussion

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 5,232Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2797 Posts
Posted 02/11/2018   1:15 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all

I needed a change of scenery yesterday, so I drove up to southern Maine and hit two antique shops. While looking around, I came across an antique stamp machine, which alone was nice to see. Then I noticed the stamps displayed on/in it!

A 5-cent Columbian.

This begs the question, did someone add the stamp, or was such a machine actually around during 1893? Seems a bit too modern. Perhaps the patent # seen in the photo can be looked up.

Thoughts?

(I apologize for the photo quality... my cell phone's camera is El Stinkola)

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3464 Posts
Posted 02/11/2018   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Patent 2444747 was issued in 1948.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2797 Posts
Posted 02/11/2018   1:23 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well that answers THAT question!!!!!!!

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1083 Posts
Posted 02/11/2018   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note also that the special delivery stamp on the 10c side was issued some 30 years later than the Columbian, and it's very clearly used. I've never seen a used stamp displayed in a post office vending machine.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2797 Posts
Posted 02/11/2018   3:40 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another very good point
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 02/11/2018   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StamperMA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did you try it? I would have gambled a nickel for a 5 cent Columbian.

Dennis
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2797 Posts
Posted 02/11/2018   3:42 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, I didn't even think of that! ;-) For some reason, though I love antique shops, I get all nervous and uptight. Perhaps it is because everything is priced so high now. Very rare to score anything these days...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
640 Posts
Posted 02/11/2018   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I remember these machines from my youth, the stamps were contained in a cardboard folder about the size of a stick of chewing gum. The 5c slot produced 4x1c (post card rate) stamps while the 10c provided 3x3c (letter rate) stamps. The penny overcharge "for your convenience" being thr gross profit to the machines owner. They were generally found in drug stores, souvenir ships, etc.
Valued Member
Learn More...
436 Posts
Posted 02/11/2018   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...the stamps were contained in a cardboard folder about the size of a stick of chewing gum.

Like these?

If anyone collects these, let me know. I have several different, but don't actually collect them...
Edited by StateRevs - 02/11/2018 5:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1463 Posts
Posted 02/11/2018   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nells, we notice a coin display to the left of the machine. Did this shop have stamps for sale too?
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
Posted 02/11/2018   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this machine in the Colorado state capitol building this week...first time in forever that I've seen one out in public like this.

Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My stamp machine. Found in a barn in Kansas.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5351 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great machines! I think of them as heads, with the stamps being the eyes and the last one having a sad mouth ("pull").

Nells' looks rather bored.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/12/2018 1:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2747 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   2:18 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Old joke:

How do you spot a philatelist in Vegas?

He's the one playing the stamp machine.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2797 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   4:45 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dudley - nope, though another vendor did have baggies of mixed stamps. I took a peek through them, nothing to write home about.

I have asked the admins if I can change the thread topic/name to cover chatter regarding antique American stamp machines.

Stay tuned...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2728 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nells, did you buy that machine?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 5,232Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05