Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help with modernish Republic of China stamps  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Eiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't have a China catalogue and I couldn't find them on stampworld website

Does anyone know where I can find out more info on these stamps and if anyone knows SG number that would be great. Thank you.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Eiger - 02/12/2018 10:33 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1020 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try Taiwan...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eiger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, tried Taiwan but no luck
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1511 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   12:00 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Across the bottom of each stamp it says in English 'Republic of China'. That's Taiwan. I wonder if the source you are using calls this some other name?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eiger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm may even they do I'll keep checking. Thank you!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eiger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found them! Thanks everyone :)
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DCStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found under Taiwan

FIRST SET

Scott #1691 - issued 1970-71
Scott #1682 - issued 1970-71
Scott # 1688 - issued 1970-71

SECOND STAMP
Scott #1624 - issued Oct 9, 1969

THIRD SET
Scott #1835a, b, c, d, e. This was a strip of 5 stamps issued in 1973

Hope this helps.

edit - sorry, I guess I was just a little late
Edited by DCStamps - 02/12/2018 12:36 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eiger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much DC !
Valued Member
306 Posts
Posted 02/21/2018   01:57 am  Show Profile Check TangStamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TangStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are under China. Not Taiwan provinces. Scott catalog let Taiwan (ROC) extend the China session after 1949 instead of PRC. ROC was a founding member of united nation but lost the civil war in 1949 and the ROC government moved to Taiwan. Both ROC and PRC claim itself as the legit representative of China including both mainland the Taiwan island. After 1971, ROC lost its battle in united nation and PRC took over ROC's seat in UN.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23796 Posts
Posted 02/21/2018   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Scott catalog let Taiwan (ROC) extend the China session after 1949 instead of PRC.

Nice to hear that confirmed.
I always felt Scott was out of sequencing doing that, but didn't understand the history, and trusted they had a reason, I have my ROC in my albums after PRC.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3364 Posts
Posted 02/21/2018   6:23 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect the confusion arises from nomenclature. Nobody in GB would call Taiwan the "Republic of China" - although it used to be known as Formosa when I was a boy.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23796 Posts
Posted 02/21/2018   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suspect the confusion arises from nomenclature. Nobody in GB would call Taiwan the "Republic of China"

Agreed,
but those stamp collectors following Scott, will learn to do so.

I was in Taiwan in 1970, fascinating, lovely country, I bought my first Tape Deck there, and shipped it home, along with Vinyl records of all the latest
(Dean Martin )

All the "vinyl" (copied) was in see through yellow , red, and green plastic.

Valued Member
306 Posts
Posted 02/21/2018   9:51 pm  Show Profile Check TangStamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TangStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, a history lesson here :)

ROC was the government of China before PRC was founded. Kuomintang Party was the founding party of ROC that turned over the Qing Dynasty and governored China from 1912 until 1949. But they lost the civil war to the Communist party in mainland in 1949 and fled to Taiwan.

Kuomintang continued to be the only dominant party in Taiwan until 1980's. They claim that ROC is the legit representative of the whole China (including mainland). US and most of the western countries did not recognize PRC and let ROC be the representative of China in UN. However, this changed in 1971 when PRC gained more votes from other countries to replace ROC in UN. ROC and PRC both insisted the one China policy, and thus ROC decided to quit UN and rejected a proposal to let Two China co-exist in UN.

However, things changed again when the opponent party in Taiwan grew stronger and took over the government in 2000. The opponent party is a local party supported by the native Taiwan people (still, they moved to Taiwan a few generations ago from mainland). While Kuomintang Party is supported by most people who moved to Taiwan after they won the world war II and recovered the Taiwan after Japan gave it up. These two parties continue to fight and they disagree on "One China" policy. The local party wanted to be independent but they cannot, since PRC will start the war if they do claim the independence. Officially, the end of civil war of China has not been declared.

Officially, the ROC constitution claim Mainland China and even Mongolia to be part of ROC. However, their power can only reach Taiwan and nearby islands. There are a few small countries who still recognize ROC (Taiwan) as the representative of China and tie diplomatic relationship with ROC. But most of the countries maintain the official diplomatic relationship with PRC and an unofficial relationship with ROC (Taiwan).

To prove what I said, I include a set of Taiwan's map stamps (in Scott under China 1157-1162). You can see that their map of China, which include mainland China and Mongolia (they don't recognize the Independence of Mongolia because they let Mongolia go under the pressure of Russia but Russia turned to support ROC's enemy -- the communist party). There are 4 Chinese characters on the maps meaning "recover the mainland".

Stamps are a history book, indeed.
Edited by TangStamps - 02/21/2018 10:45 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23796 Posts
Posted 02/21/2018   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Tang.
Saved.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05