Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The perforated 6d consor stamp #13  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add audetnelson1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone know why the production of the perforated 6D stamp was the lowest except of the 12d during the pence era ?

It is probably the rarest stamp in the pence issue in the exception of the 12d black.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United Kingdom
299 Posts
Posted 02/12/2018   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aug-stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A possible basic reason: fewer people were buying the service represented by the 6d as compared to 1/2d, 1d, 2d etc. For example, if 6d was the postage fee for abroad then most likely the number of letters sent abroad was much smaller than the 'internal' letters. The total profit obtained with a given stamp was the direct result of the total number of stamps bought from the total number issued: accordingly, if the 6d would have been issued in the same quantity as the more demanded ones, the outcome could have been a loss for the State. Same for 12d.
A much better (and far more complex) explanation is given in 'The Stamps of Canada'
by Bertram William Henry Poole, free to download from archive.org:
https://ia801409.us.archive.org/4/i...poolrich.pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1403 Posts
Posted 02/13/2018   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a copy of "The Postage Stamps and Postal History of Canada", by Winthrop S. Boggs (bought in 1982 by my father) and does agree with audetnelson1's opinion that the rarest pence issue would be the 12d black as only 1,450 were issued for the 12d black and 12d black thin wove paper, May 1851, and only 200 printed for the 12d black, Thick wove paper of 1851 (page 139).However the book does not discuss "rarity".
Rene
BTW - Link given by aug-stamps is quite interesting but very long to read

Edited by Renden - 02/13/2018 11:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4518 Posts
Posted 02/13/2018   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too have the book by Winthrop S. Boggs, who, I might add, was a Huntsville, Ontario boy. The book is quite informative, and long out of print, but, does still show up on auctions. Well worth seeking.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
Posted 02/13/2018   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Boggs book is a necessary item in any Canada collectors library. The original edition is in two volumes. published in the 1940s. A reprint of Volume 1, with only some of the material from Volume 2, was issued by Quarterman Publications in he 1970s.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1403 Posts
Posted 02/13/2018   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of books necessary for our "sport" but when does it stop !! I like this big book
My next book will be on Small Queens....$150C + shipping
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1403 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
audetnelson1,

no activity on this thread of yours ??
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add audetnelson1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry renden I don t understand what do you mean... my english isnt perfect :)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1403 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nelson
No problem with your "English".....I am French Canadian too !
Since many books were discussed because of your thread, I just thought you would continue and comment a little more on your interests,.....as a follow-up

Salut !

René
Valued Member
174 Posts
Posted 02/15/2018   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The perforated 6d was introduced in 1858, and paid a common rate (double domestic or US), but could also be paid using two 3d stamps. Stampless mail was also common in the period. With the change to decimal currency on July 1 / 1859 its use was short-lived.
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 02/15/2018   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add audetnelson1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
just see in your profile your are in new brunswick :) ! Yes many book were discussed and I will probably buy the pence era book in the next week to learn more about this era since I just start collect pence with the perforated issue. I only need the #11 now to complete my perforated pence issue. Received the 13 yesterday and have the 12 in the mail.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1403 Posts
Posted 02/15/2018   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nelson
I am very happy that you own (or will own) these 3 perforated Pence stamps and hope you will scan them and show them to us !!
René

p.s did see your #13 in another thread !
Edited by Renden - 02/15/2018 12:23 pm
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 02/15/2018   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add audetnelson1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will do it in the perforated pence issue thread! But will probably take coup'e weeks or more to afford the #11. In last week I spent good money on that 13 and a man in the mast bluenose so now I need to be relax for couple weeks lol:)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1403 Posts
Posted 02/15/2018   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
audetnelson
This is my Bluenose, Unitrade/Scott # 158, but without the "man on the mast"

Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 02/15/2018   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add audetnelson1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its a nice one good centering. Ill need in the futur to upgrade my 158. My copy of the 158 is off center but my man in the mast have a great centering
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1403 Posts
Posted 02/15/2018   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would like to see a scan of the "man on mast" when you have time, in this thread, since you are going to show us your 11-12-13 (13 already shown) in the other thread on perf penny issues. Merci !

Rene
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!What's on your wall? Check out our handmade, screen printed stamp art. Perfect for your collector room, office and more. Buy online today!Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Trying to ID stamps from Panama
  Archiving/Mounting safety
  Scott 30b - Possible "Balloon Flaw"..?
  Dealing with eBay Changes: Specifically Ended Items
  Is this considered a cut cancel?
  Mt Fuji substation & postmark
  Looking for sources of info to help id all Great American types/varieties
  Looking for Precancel Bureau Mail Early Blks with Bar&City
  US #518b 1917 Franklin 1 dollar
  NOVAPEX 2018 - Dartmouth Nova Scotia , Canada -September 14 -16
  Why I Hate Selling Books on Ebay
  The elusive "propriwtary" revenue stamp variety
  Old checks with stamps
  The most misleading auction lot description of all time? (Narcotic stamps)
  Does anyone know what Scott# this is
  Scott 25ii - This could be "Bothwell paper"
  Frank Geiger - still in Business?
  Another great offering for everyone's funny bone!
  AIRPEX 2018 August 24 and 25 FRI. Noon-6, SAT. 10-4
  Use of c or ˘ Abbreviation for Classic Stamp Descriptions
  The importance of understanding a catalog listing
  Are these USA precanceled stamps?
  Catalogue listings not showing values.
  Indo China overprinted with Viet Nam - Dan Chu Cong HOA - North Vietnam?
  WW2 covers censored in Canada AND USA ?

Looking for sources of info to help id all Great American types/varieties
  The most misleading auction lot description of all time? (Narcotic stamps)
  Another great offering for everyone's funny bone!
  Astronomical Observatories, Planetariums, and Telescopes
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Trying to ID stamps from Panama
  Need help to identify a Japanese stamp
  Stamps with WORDS and/or NUMBERS as the main design
  Austria : Stamps on Steiner pages.
  Italy Stamp Engravers
  Why I Hate Selling Books on Ebay
  Dealing with eBay Changes: Specifically Ended Items
  Use of c or ˘ Abbreviation for Classic Stamp Descriptions
  Scott 25ii - This could be "Bothwell paper"
  Catapult mail from Sweden
  Archiving/Mounting safety
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Let's see your most recently purchased stamps
  Tanks on Stamps
  Name of this type of optical postcard.
  US Scott # 37 & 38, Used, Rebacked, 1857-1861 Issue, Classics
  My first APS stampshow
  Canada new $4 definitive press sheet
  Is this considered a cut cancel?
  Monaco Stamp Engravers

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05