Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why are these PSE certs different?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
760 Posts
Posted 02/13/2018   3:54 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at an eBay item and decided to check on a cert that was shown. The eBay cert shows Grade 70 but the PSE database shows the stamp as ungraded? I also noticed other little differences. Does anybody know if this is legitimate?

eBay;

PSE Database;

Thanks

Ken
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
Posted 02/13/2018   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ananthveerappan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The eBay one looks more convincing though !
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
Posted 02/13/2018   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an expert, but my guess is the owner submitted the stamp fearful of the grade he was going to get, but confident that it was genuine, so he paid for a graded and ungraded cert in case the graded one was not good enough they could discard the graded cert. Apparently they were good with the 7. Either that or I'm totally wrong.
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
Posted 02/13/2018   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I looked again. I think I'm totally wrong.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 02/13/2018   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the image from the PSE database, which is apparently just a template and not a scan or replica of the actual issued certificate, simply had incorrect or incomplete data entered. User error.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3563 Posts
Posted 02/13/2018   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can one be a paper cert. and the other is a digital scan off their computer files .
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
Posted 02/13/2018   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As the graded certificate includes "grading matters.com" in the masthead it is probably a later certificate even though the dates are the same. I would assume that PSE failed to update their computer records.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
760 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   12:27 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the PSE website there is a Cert Verification page with this:

The result of this search is what I show.

Here are a couple more examples;

Note the Luxembourg #4. Grade VF-XF 85, Mint OGnh and under that

"it is genuine used" I guess PSE was having a really bad day.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
975 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   02:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alarm bells should be ringing here. The expertising committees of every certifying authority has rules about what is to appear as a minimum in the certificate. A certifying authority quite simply does not "have a bad day" even though the grading itself is, by definition, a subjective process.

It would be well worth checking directly with someone on the PSE expertising committee about this before going further.
Edited by Tim H - 02/14/2018 03:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3821 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   03:28 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is that the PSE cert verification pages do NOT show images of the actual paper certs. Rather they are virtual "reconstructions" of the cert information. The frames, PSE logo, and stamp image are individual image files and all of the text are actual text characters.

It looks like they are using Adobe Muse embedded PDF technology and there are mismatches or data errors.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
760 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   08:51 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "used/OGNH stamp is shown on both the paper and electronic version.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1710 Posts
Posted 02/16/2018   9:46 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don;t recall ever seeing a paper cert saying Grade: Ungraded
Learn More...
5208 Posts
Posted 02/17/2018   02:30 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan is correct. PSE obviously has a database which contains the certification info. When faced with the issue of publishing the certs online, which would you do?
1. Scan and post every single paper cert
2. Build a single software equivalent (template) of a cert and then populate it the existing data in the database?

One of the biggest aspects of using a foundational database to publish content online is that you do not have to code and write every single page. Say, for example, you wanted to publish a webpage for each stamp for a country and the country has issued 4500 stamps. Would you want to code and maintain 4500 separate web pages (one for each stamp)? Or would you write one webpage which populates itself with data from a database when a request is made to view a certain stamp? Kind of a no-brainer for them to do this correctly with a database.
Don

Pillar Of The Community
2777 Posts
Posted 02/17/2018   08:59 am  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One has an embossed seal on the upper left corner while the other one does not. I would trust the one with the embossed seal more.
Edited by jogil - 02/17/2018 09:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3821 Posts
Posted 02/17/2018   09:31 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a case where PSE's intent to "simulate" the certificate, while well-intentioned, was misguided, as we can see based on all of the resulting confusion in this thread. It would have been far better had they taken the PF's approach, which is to clearly post just the stamp image and the text opinion, and not worry about all the extraneous imagery. People can't tell images of the real paper certs from the virtual reconstructions.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
760 Posts
Posted 02/17/2018   2:42 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't start this topic to pick on the PSE. I was looking at a collection on eBay;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MASSIVE-IN....m1438.l2649

If you use the link at the bottom to see the pictures you can find the stamps with certs starting around picture #175. I thought the Denmark #10 looked kind of ratty to have a Gr 70 cert. so I checked with the PSE verification page to make sure the seller wasn't cheating.

I'd be pretty annoyed with the PSE if I paid to get a Graded Cert and when I tried to sell the item on eBay their verification system didn't agree with the cert they sold me.

As for the USED Luxembourg #4 that is called a Vf-XF 85 Mint OGnh,
I can't imagine what folks would say if Anthonies made that mistake.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!What's on your wall? Check out our handmade, screen printed stamp art. Perfect for your collector room, office and more. Buy online today!Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Can someone tell me about credo stamps please?
  Longest time period it has taken for expertization of one item....
  A Beautiful Collection I know nothing about!
  Italy 1863 King Victor Emmanuel II Scott 22 Inverted Center
  Need help with an Antique Shop find
  Assistance please with identifying1922 series 1C Franklins - 11perf
  What is the best lighting to view stamps?
  What is a reasonable percentage of cat value to sell USA stamps ?
  Messaging system not working?
  Canada post rides again
  11 Newly Listed Stamp Collections
  Is this listing a new approach to educate buyers?
  SRILANKAs New Stamps
  Hipstamps at APS StampShow
  Canada $4 Bighorn Sheep
  Would someone help me with a Postal Card
  Has anyone else bought from Hippostcard.com?
  Norway Post-Horn Identification & Types
  A Guide to US stamp descriptions and where to get them
  An Ebay Tale "Sellers don't always lose"
  Does this Hawaiian stamp look genuine?
  Any formal or informal group, association or clubs available for zip/mail early block collector
  Looking for sources of info on defunct Zippy Collector Club Intl.(ZCCI) or old members
  Benjamin one cent stamp.
  A color visual guide to tagging - Transportation EFO's

2018 USPS Issues... News? Thoughts? Opinions?
  What is the best lighting to view stamps?
  Can someone tell me about credo stamps please?
  1c 1851 Plate 12 Stamps
  Longest time period it has taken for expertization of one item....
  Help needed in identifying stamp on Malta 1988 money order
  Need help with an Antique Shop find
  Canada $4 Bighorn Sheep
  Italy 1863 King Victor Emmanuel II Scott 22 Inverted Center
  Any interest in world Postal Stationery?
  Tanks on Stamps
  Stamps from a Recent Great Britain Purchase
  Is this listing a new approach to educate buyers?
  My first APS stampshow
  Fall River Philatelic Society STAMP SHOW, Saturday, August 18, 10AM - 5PM, Tiverton, RI
  Messaging system not working?
  What is a reasonable percentage of cat value to sell USA stamps ?
  Assistance please with identifying1922 series 1C Franklins - 11perf
  A Beautiful Collection I know nothing about!
  Need help to identify a Japanese stamp
  Framing stamps for the wall
  Catapult mail from Sweden
  Latin Species Names For Plants & Animals
  Why I Hate Selling Books on Ebay
  Canada post rides again

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.85 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05