Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott#104 in good condition  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United Kingdom
299 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add aug-stamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Available an 1875 reissue of 3c Washington, Scott#104, circulated.
Ex-hinged, no grill. Pencil mark on the back.
Detailed pictures available by request.
Collection from Great Britain, only.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
897 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
don't think anybody anywhere would buy a 104 without certificate.

for comparison (color and paper):
https://siegelauctions.com/lot_grd....emailflag=on
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
299 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aug-stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is brown red according to Stanley Gibbons color sampler: my scanner doesn't want to show the right color no matter what I do ...
Valued Member
United Kingdom
299 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aug-stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Color problem solved!
For this particular stamp without grill there are four possible colors: pink, red, rose and brown red. Below are pictures taken with a tablet showing the stamp and the four colors above the original stamp.
If anyone is interested in purchasing it then I can have it certified. Otherwise, it stays very nice and comfy inside my album

Valued Member
United Kingdom
299 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aug-stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamperix, do you know where is the cancellation from, please? The only similar ones I have in my collection are from France.
Learn More...
5203 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   4:52 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Selling a rare stamp based only upon someone's color eye, the ambient lighting conditions, a camera, and then displaying it on 10,000 different monitors... what could possibly go wrong?

Are you willing to fully refund the buyer if they submit this stamp and it is not a #104?
Don

Valued Member
United Kingdom
299 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aug-stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, if somebody is interested in buying it then I will first send it to PF for expertize and certification.
Otherwise, I don't intend to send it ... I live in Britain and over the years I had a way above average percentage of lost mail, both ways. So, forgive me for being superstitious
Edited by aug-stamps - 02/14/2018 4:57 pm
Learn More...
5203 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   5:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Understood and prudent.
I was suggesting that you might offer a refund because I am assuming that mostly US collectors would be interested and the stamp would likely be shipped to US if sold.
Don
Valued Member
United Kingdom
299 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aug-stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I would say collection only: many people are visiting Europe for far less serious reasons
Pillar Of The Community
United States
864 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Likely not a 104.

Reason for saying this - the cancellation is wrong.
These stamps were issued 20 years after the originals. By then, the cancellations were quite different. Most used copies were sent by stamp dealers to "prove" that the stamps were valid for postage, even though the government said that they weren't and have 1880s-era cancellations on them.

Yours looks like an 1860s-era cancellation. You can always send it to the RPSL for certification, if you don't want to drop the funds to FedEx it to the PF in NY. However, you're probably going to be disappointed either way.

C.
Pillar Of The Community
1457 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For this particular stamp without grill there are four possible colors: pink, red, rose and brown red

Ummm 4? Please see Michael McClung's articles in the Chronicle from the late 1980's an early 1990s discussing the *dozens* of shades and their periods of use, specifically the Aug 1993 issue.

My money is on your stamp being a Scott 65.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
299 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aug-stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chipg, according to various sources, grid and other fancy cancellations were still used by New York Foreign Mail office until late 1870s. Now, I have no idea what sort of cancellation is on my stamp, but a very similar type is on stamps from France in the same era.
... and let's not forget that I live in Britain: many of the US stamps collected here were used on mail from US to Britain
Anyway, as stated earlier, if anyone is interested to buy it then I will have it certified.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
931 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   6:54 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aug, you're dreaming again.
It IS a 65. I collect the shades of the A25 stamp, and 104 is very brown, and very detailed on the impression. Google it, or go to the PF website, and you'll see what the 104 looks like. I have some brown rose
65s that are much browner, and much closer to the 104 than this, and they are all 65s.

If this us what you plan to do if you are selling US Classics, you should not be selling them. Sorry to be this blunt, but you need to hear this. Ray
Edited by ray.mac - 02/14/2018 6:55 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
299 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aug-stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ray.mac, ok, I will have it certified BEFORE offering it for sale.
Just mind the warning from Don: different monitors, scanners etc.
Regarding your bluntness, it's a free world
Edited by aug-stamps - 02/14/2018 6:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1403 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
aug

Good luck with the cert and please come back to show us the results - I am not at all interested in your US stamp but more on the responses you have received up to now !!
Rene
Valued Member
United Kingdom
299 Posts
Posted 02/14/2018   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aug-stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Renden, the next expert committee of RPSL is mid-March. So, please be patient
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!What's on your wall? Check out our handmade, screen printed stamp art. Perfect for your collector room, office and more. Buy online today!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Is this listing a new approach to educate buyers?
  SRILANKAs New Stamps
  Hipstamps at APS StampShow
  Canada $4 Bighorn Sheep
  Would someone help me with a Postal Card
  Has anyone else bought from Hippostcard.com?
  Norway Post-Horn Identification & Types
  A Guide to US stamp descriptions and where to get them
  An Ebay Tale "Sellers don't always lose"
  Does this Hawaiian stamp look genuine?
  Any formal or informal group, association or clubs available for zip/mail early block collector
  Looking for sources of info on defunct Zippy Collector Club Intl.(ZCCI) or old members
  Benjamin one cent stamp.
  A color visual guide to tagging - Transportation EFO's
  Scratch in oval, 3c 1851-57
  Ebay "error print with white crease line red line"
  Japanese Stamps with Overprint
  Are these Polish or Italian?
  Trying to ID stamps from Panama
  Archiving/Mounting safety
  Scott 30b - Possible "Balloon Flaw"..?
  Dealing with eBay Changes: Specifically Ended Items
  Is this considered a cut cancel?
  Mt Fuji substation & postmark
  Looking for sources of info to help id all Great American types/varieties

Is this listing a new approach to educate buyers?
  Canada $4 Bighorn Sheep
  Making your own album pages for your collection?
  Any interest in world Postal Stationery?
  Archiving/Mounting safety
  SRILANKAs New Stamps
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  A color visual guide to tagging - Transportation EFO's
  Hipstamps at APS StampShow
  Hoe Printing Presses
  C25a miscut pane question...
  2018 USPS Issues... News? Thoughts? Opinions?
  How to identify the 2720 varieties
  Aadvice on Australian Stamps
  Austria : Stamps on Steiner pages.
  Would someone help me with a Postal Card
  Are these Polish or Italian?
  An Ebay Tale "Sellers don't always lose"
  Fleetwood Proof Cards 1980 1981 James Hoban
  US Stamp Give-Away (August 2018, #1)
  Has anyone else bought from Hippostcard.com?
  Scott 30b - Possible "Balloon Flaw"..?
  Ebay "error print with white crease line red line"
  Sweden Stamp Engravers
  1c 1851 Plate 4 Stamps

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05