Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Common And Not Too Common Stuff For Newbies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,144Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 02/20/2018   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sleepy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw that some of our collectors have been giving un-needed stuff to youngsters just starting out.
I've got a pile of common, and a few not too common stamps that I don't need nor want to use for trading.
If anyone knows of a young newbie just starting out, please provide me the address & I'll send him some.
When I started out as a kid I would have loved to get a deal like this.
Send note to Staff
Edited by sleepy - 02/20/2018 1:35 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7900 Posts
Posted 02/20/2018   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sleepy, one way would be to contact a local stamp club. You can find one on www.stamps.org .
Another option is to take them to a stamp show here there is always a table full of stamps for kids to take.
Just two options, there are several more

Peter

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2055 Posts
Posted 02/20/2018   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or contact a local elementary school and see if the principal will allow you to form a small stamp club. You know how to catch fish.........
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 02/21/2018   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sleepy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I had a local club that would take these for consideration I'd do it. But, alas, I've had to resort to this medium.
Again, if anyone knows of starting collectors (preferably youngsters) who can use these caps, please let me know.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7900 Posts
Posted 02/21/2018   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sleepy, are you trying to be difficult? I just checked and there are a whole page of stamp clubs near you.
And like I mentioned, if everything else fails just mail them to the APS - they will distribute them to kids everywhere.

Peter
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 02/21/2018   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sleepy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, I'm not trying to be difficult. Please tell me where these local clubs are made known.
That's what I need.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1611 Posts
Posted 02/21/2018   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 02/23/2018   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimwentzell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are plenty of parents of homeschooled children who realize the educational value of stamp collecting to youngsters. In most areas there are annual get-togethers (expos, meetings, fairs, or shows) of various sizes. Many faith-based organizations also have home-schoolers among them or curricula open to input from seasoned stamp collectors willing to invest some time and effort.

Meetupdotcom, and yahoodotcom user groups, for example, both have extensive listings of local homeschooling events of all types.

I have attended a couple local homeschooling shows (Atlanta, GA) over the years and each time I was almost inundated with requests of all sorts, for more information on meetings, for ABC's of the hobby, for tips on online sites. Especially popular were the stock albums I brought with mostly colorful pictorials arranged by topics (Disney, soccer, space seem highly popular themes). I limited kids (and sometimes parents) to pick out just a few each--to ensure continued interest--if it's free and unlimited, it quickly becomes boring.

You'd have the fairly normal, predictable rate of eventual non-interest by the kids, but a few would go on to become serious steady collectors. And there was always the occasional parent who rekindled an old hobby. Our local stamp club got a couple collectors to join that way!

If I didn't have a full-time job taking every spare moment I would delve back into seeking out homeschoolers and their parents; they just seem so much more motivated and eager to learn!

I co-own a dog daycare center and store, and train dogs as well, but they lick the stamp hinges with far too much saliva, and some even try to eat the stamps!

--Jim Wentzell
stampguyaps177-681
Edited by jimwentzell - 02/23/2018 2:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7900 Posts
Posted 02/23/2018   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sleepy, I gave you the webaddress to APS almost immediately after your original post. It is www.stamps.org . Go to "stamp collecting" and then click on local clubs. Put in either your ZIP code or the state you're in and it will give you a fairly long list of local clubs.

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 02/23/2018 2:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3920 Posts
Posted 02/23/2018   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sent my grand-daughter's address to Sleepy. She has shown some interest, and likes to receive letters, so it looks like a good match. I'm working on a US album for her (my seconds), but this isn't getting into her hands till much older (she's 10 right now).

Thanks Sleepy.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,144Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05