Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question Regarding Maximum Cards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,879Next Topic  
Valued Member

14 Posts
Posted 09/18/2009   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add awmartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everybody, I have a question regarding Maximum Cards.

I have been given the responsibility of selling a family friend's stamp collection that includes many maximum cards. From the research that I had done, collecting maximum cards is quite popular in Europe, but not so much in the U.S.

My question is, how can I properly determine the value of individual maximum cards. I have seen some sites where they include a Scott #, but I have not been able to find those in the catalog.

Any help that you may have would be very helpful.

Thank You.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1159 Posts
Posted 09/18/2009   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sharksfan11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is a maximum card? Can someone show an example?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 09/18/2009   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I maybe wrong, but I believe it is on a card stock souvenir/replica of a actual stamp sold often by the PO's.

Mike
Edited by warrehouse - 09/18/2009 6:54 pm
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 09/18/2009   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add awmartin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will post some examples in a minute.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 09/18/2009   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Awmartin, its been my experience that cover dealers at shows sell maxi cards generally for the same price as their dollar covers..of course there are exceptions to the rule..depending on the scarcity of the item..i am just giving a rule of thumb !! I have a post office priority box of Dutch maxi cards like this I would be happy to take 50 cents apiece for...

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 09/18/2009   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add awmartin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are some of the maximum cards that I have.

warrehouse is correct. It is a postcard with stamp attached to it which resembles the cover of the postcard.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1755 Posts
Posted 09/18/2009   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David Giles to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil is right. Based upon what you have shown, they tend to sell for $1. Some may bid up higher on eBay due to topical interest, but probably not much more than $3. Do you have any British ones? They do have a few goodies in them.

David
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 09/18/2009   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add awmartin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I mostly have some Vatican Pope Pius VI cards, a set of polish insect cards (see above) and some random Spanish cards and many soviet cards. Off the top of my head I do not believe that I have any British cards, but I will take a look and let you know if I do.
Edited by awmartin - 09/18/2009 10:23 pm
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 09/19/2009   03:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From www.wikipedia.org :
Maximaphily is a branch of philately involving the study and creation of maximum cards.

On the web site delcampe.com which is a France eBay-like stamp site that has worldwide coverage and members (perhaps more Europeans use this site than www.ebay.com/b/Stamps/260/">eBay? (except Great Britain)) (Perhaps that is where to best market your cards?) there is a maximum card set listed under Poland with the title:

12 Maximum Cards 1961 Number: Mi 1277-88, Sc 1029-40 Insects
ITEM NUMBER: 41479499

which looks like your insects. The seller is asking around $30 for the set.
(Mi = Michel = German stamp catalog)
(Sc = Scott = US and Canada stamp catalog)
Perhaps they just use the Scott catalog (or whichever catalog) for the stamp numbers?

DelCampe has a Maximum Card section under some countries.

Stanley Gibbons Great Britain Concise catalog (2005) that I have list P.H.Q. cards (Postal Head Quarters), cards that show the stamp enlarged, (1973 on) as mint or used. With or without a stamp affixed that is. Special cancels (first day of issue, special events) or handstamps make it worth more to different collectors.

I think most maxi (maxim,maximum,PHQ) cards sell on delcampe for a EURO (1.00 € ± $1.47) except if they have topical interest (like David mentioned above) which I think is the major market for maxi cards.

I kind of like the idea of them myself. I have tried to make some FDI ones but usually the cancel ink smears on the postcard, plus a rectangular postmark was used. It got the date on there but is not eye pleasing.

I think they would add a special touch of interest to a stamp collection. Or just to a special stamp, as a lead in or header on an album page or something like that.

The Great Britain dealers seem to have grasped onto the idea of another area of collecting interest and marketed it successfully. Some people just collect the cards.
Edited by Puzzler - 09/19/2009 04:04 am
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 09/19/2009   03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada maximum card, Australia PHQ card

Edited by Puzzler - 09/19/2009 04:51 am
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
Posted 07/05/2019   8:47 pm  Show Profile Check DC3's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DC3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More information at www.maximaphily.info. Also, there are several maximaphily groups on Facebook.
My avatar is a non-traditional maxicard.
Edited by DC3 - 07/05/2019 8:49 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,879Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05