Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamps Of The Olympics Games Through The Centuries

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 56 / Views: 5,223Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Croatia (Locally: Hrvatska)
290 Posts
Posted 02/24/2018   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!
Where did you get so many postage stamps on this thematic?
Are you perhaps lived in the former Yugoslavia?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
290 Posts
Posted 02/24/2018   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found some post stamps in my Ex YU collection.

Valued Member
290 Posts
Posted 02/24/2018   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These post stamps in my Ex YU collection are not familiar to me so I have to explore their history.
These are not the Olympic Games, but there are some games (I hope) :)
Pillar Of The Community
USA
646 Posts
Posted 02/24/2018   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
they commemorate the signing of the "Little Entente" between Yugoslavia, Romania and Czechoslovakia in 1920.

as for your earlier question, I have no personal ties to Yugslavia. just find their history fascinating, and chose to focus my stamp collecting on that area.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
646 Posts
Posted 02/24/2018   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
some oddball stuff that is Olympic related.

I believe this is to support the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, but unable to find enough information to confirm.

Printed in 1981, with the plan to offset some of the construction costs for the 1984 Winter Olympics in Sarajevo, Bosnia. They failed to get approval and were never issued.

This issue was printed in the middle of Yugoslavia's hyper-inflation era. By the time they were printed and ready for distribution, the dinar had been de-valuated, making the original value of 16din too high to be successful. Thus the overprinted re-valuation of 2din.

By 2004, Yugoslavia had been reduced to the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro, with both states issuing postal tax stamps independently. Montenegro issued a single postal tax stamp similar to these Serbian issues. I have not gotten around to adding one to my collection, yet.

and finally, a couple postal tax issues to support Paralympics.
Edited by kuhli - 02/24/2018 12:52 pm
Valued Member
290 Posts
Posted 02/24/2018   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi @kuhli
Everyone is honored, an excellent collection of Olympic Games.
I will try to find stamps from my other collections next week.

Quote:
They failed to get approval and were never issued.

How is it even came into circulation, if it was banned?
btw: You know more about EX Yugoslavia than me :)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
477 Posts
Posted 02/24/2018   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another Olympic-related. This time Scottish local post from 1968.
Got it listed (and sellling) currently on eBay!
Regards
DavidR

Valued Member
290 Posts
Posted 02/24/2018   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi @DavidR
Very beautiful postal stamps related to the Olympic Games.
Thank you for participating in the topic.
Best regards

Hi @kuhli
I've found some other post stamps in my collection. I was worried where they were. When I saw yours, I remembered that I had that.
Best regards
Valued Member
290 Posts
Posted 02/24/2018   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Olympic Games on the postmarks of EX Yugoslavia
Valued Member
290 Posts
Posted 02/24/2018   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Olympic Games on the postmarks of Polska.
Valued Member
290 Posts
Posted 02/24/2018   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Olympic Games on the postmarks of Canada and Helvetia.

Valued Member
290 Posts
Posted 02/25/2018   02:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps from Italia
Pillar Of The Community
Russian Federation
657 Posts
Posted 02/25/2018   03:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Russian are olympic hockey champion!!! again
Edited by Alexey - 02/25/2018 03:39 am
Valued Member
290 Posts
Posted 02/25/2018   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi @Alexey
Very nice Olympic Games stamp from CCCP. I have about 296 pieces from Russia.
In the future when I have time, I will present my CCCP collection stamps here.

BTW: What I find interesting is that there is no Olympic rings on the stamp.

Thank you for your participation in the topic.
Best regards
Pillar Of The Community
USA
646 Posts
Posted 02/25/2018   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
johnc,

Just noticed your question about the un-issued Olympic dinar issues being available. My theory, after the printer produced the first batch, and them being rejected, the printer still wanted compensation for the time and materials used to produce that first batch. They put them out directly to the secondary market, a.k.a. philatelic dealers, who already had established clientele and distribution networks.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 56 / Views: 5,223Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05