Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited Thousands Of Postcards, Anyone Like To See Them?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 03/02/2018   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KYfilately to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 03/02/2018   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KYfilately to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
still dont really have very much to say about all these cards other than ugh can I just use individual posts for each image already hahaha
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KYfilately to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KYfilately to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
finally some halloween cards! definitely the most exciting of the holiday cards to look at for me.. not only for their rarity and value but they also have some of the most interesting artwork.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KYfilately to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
500 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice collection, thanks for sharing.

Your streetcar postcard also exists with Dutch text. I means roughly the same.

Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KYfilately to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i wish the metal card from arizona had come in right side up.. I found that one to be very interesting I hadnt seen one like that before.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KYfilately to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
did I mention 6 more posts! woo woo!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3639 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice cards! A few that jump out at me:

The lovers-in-a-light bulb reminds me of the German fellow who recently tried selling the now-banned 100-watt light bulbs as Heat Bulbs, claiming that, as they emit more heat than light, they are legitimately home heating devices. I could see mounting that card alongside news items, or even snips of the relevant regs etc.

The lover-on-a-scaffold is a watercolor design. Gosh, I love watercolor postcards, as well as their near cousins, Tuck's "Oilette" series.

The two lovers-on-a-beach drawings remind me of my love of all Line Art on postcards:

http://goscf.com/t/38451

The Grus Aus ("Greetings from Nebraska City" and "Greetings from Friendsville Illinois") cards date from the time before Curt Teich dominated the Grus Aus market in the USA with their definitive Big Letter linen designs. I set all of these aside for an 'eventual' Grandfathers of Grus Aus binder showing the evolution of the form.

Q/ How does a place the size of Friendsville get it own Grus Aus postcard? No wonder they called it The Golden Age.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
820 Posts
Posted 03/27/2018   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The first front images you posted include caricatures by Al Hirshfeld, who produced cartoon portraits of Broadway and film stars. These portraits are in black ink, with colored backgrounds. I'd be interested in seeing more of these. They appear to be stamped "File" which indicates they may have been part of an archive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Hirschfeld
Edited by GregAlex - 03/27/2018 12:58 am
Valued Member
United States
408 Posts
Posted 03/27/2018   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a lot of history on those old postcards.
It is always interesting to read the short messages written on them.

It would be nice to still be able to mail postcards for 1 cent.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
Posted 03/31/2018   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thepackrat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any baseball theme postcards?

Bob
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 03/31/2018   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DC3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any maxicard among them?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05