Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Magical Mystery Postcard #13 Interior

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3639 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Magical Mystery Postcard #13 Interior

Q/ Can we work together to identify this interior?

There is no caption or text on this RPPC (Real Photo Postcard) to identify the scene.

I'll offer a few SWAGs (Sill Wild-Assed Guesses) to start us off:

- The fireplace looks well-used for actual cooking. That, and the rough chambers cut into the wall, suggests a very old adobe home.

- If its an American RPPC, that would place the residence in the American SouthWest.

- The cloth wall-hangings are consistent with that area.

- But the eclectic belongings - check out that piano, and its bentwood chair - suggest imports come from away.

All in all, I'm guessing an American celebrity retiree to Santa Fe, but if it turns-out to be Aristotle Onassis' mother's house, I won't be surprised.

Q/ Might that painting on wall be the definitive clue?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
6650 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   6:37 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a restaurant. The wine bottle candles on every table certainly makes it look like a restaurant. Otherwise, I cannot explain why each tables has place settings. The piano supports a restaurant.

I concur on the SW USA, the beamed ceiling, walls, artwork and furniture all point in that direction. So I am guessing an informal SW USA restaurant.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
664 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is New Mexico or maybe even Mexico...could be the dining room in a lodge or guest house.
Furniture, wall decor and painting on the wall very typical of both regions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3639 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, dear, I just noticed that Wagon Wheel Chandelier.

That, and the place settings, make me think that y'all are right: not a private residence.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2525 Posts
Posted 03/04/2018   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with graphis. The masks, metalwork and textiles look Mexican from what I can see. The chianti bottles don't help; Italy exported it worldwide. And, I would guess that it dates from the 1950's.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2941 Posts
Posted 03/04/2018   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The biggest indicator of Southwest to me is the corner fireplace type.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
820 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could you post a larger scan of the painting?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3639 Posts
Posted 03/27/2018   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, GA.

I've settled on scanning at both 200 dpi (faster to flip thru when looking for an image) and 600 dpi (to bring out a detail, stamp, postmark, etc).

Q/ Are those bananas in the basket? Some other pointy fruit?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05