Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Steiner pages double sided?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
70 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add whizard to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone tried printing Steiner pages double sided on heavyier paper and what were the results ?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5783 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   3:21 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is not a very good idea. One would have to put something in-between the pages to keep from damaging the stamps.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1062 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, the Steiner files are set up for one sided printing. You will have to adjust the image for every other page.

Robert
Learn More...
5366 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   3:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To add to Trainwrecks post..
The Steiner pages are not centered, they are offset to allow for the drilling of binder holes. If you print on both sides you would have to modify every other page.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1062 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don said it better than I.
Edited by Trainwreck - 03/12/2018 4:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
748 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   6:00 pm  Show Profile Check chris2015's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of people put the pages back-to-back in a page protector to give that look of having stamps on both sides, but as others said, would not work printing on both sides.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
838 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to back pages are a bad idea for stamp albums.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
748 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   6:20 pm  Show Profile Check chris2015's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Back to back pages are a bad idea for stamp albums.

Why?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1062 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Without interleaving the stamps on facing pages may catch on each other and get pulled from the page.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2124 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Imagine interlocking perforations! It also makes adding a page problematic.
Edited by littleriverphil - 03/14/2018 08:21 am
Valued Member
161 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mount-this to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In short, don't do it.
Valued Member
343 Posts
Posted 04/18/2018   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well! Looks like everyone has the same opinion about what an (obviously) bad idea two-sided Steiner pages are. So, being the contrarian that I am sometimes, I pulled out two Steiner pages -- mine were printed on Minkus-sized paper so a bit larger than the 8.5 x 11" pages most people use -- and put them back-to-back to see what they would look like. I thought they looked pretty good. It's true that Steiner's page layouts are shifted somewhat to the right side to provide room for holes along the larger left margin, but there's no practical reason you couldn't print pages on the back of other pages if that didn't bother you and the extra space on the sides of the pages didn't seem "odd". It didn't look all that odd to me.

As for the (equally obvious) reality that stamps on both sides of the pages will end up interfering with each other, perfs catching on other stamps, and so on -- that's also true of some of the major albums many of us use. Perhaps the most prominent worldwide album, the Scott International, uses two-sided pages to cut down the number of sheets of paper and save shelf space. The solution for anyone who is really bothered by this has always been to install glassine or mylar (clear) divider pages between pages of stamps. It's expensive to do, and it's a bit laborious to remove all the pages to do this (both are why I don't do it), but it would solve the problem.

Most people, though, don't seem to be too bothered by the "stamps catching on other stamps" problem (I"m not). That's either because they don't worry about it or they use stamp mounts which are pretty effective in preventing stamps on one page from "hooking" onto stamps on the facing page -- though mounts won't completely prevent this, I imagine.

So, my reaction to the question isn't "if everyone tells you that you shouldn't, then you should" (that would be silly), but that if you want to print Steiner pages on both sides of the page, try it out and see how it works for you. It might look just fine. It would also save both paper and album space which might matter to you.
Edited by DrewM - 04/18/2018 9:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
1406 Posts
Posted 04/18/2018   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you want to print Steiner pages on both sides of the page, try it out and see how it works for you. It might look just fine. It would also save both paper and album space which might matter to you.

For my Steiner 8.5" X 11" inch paper - the hole punch impinges (touches) on the reverse page border, so unfortunately, it doesn't look very good to my eyes.

But, yes, I agree if one can solve the placement problem for reverse pages by adjusting the right shift of the page, or using wider pages, why not save paper and reduce bulk?

Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/
Edited by Jkjblue - 04/18/2018 10:45 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05