Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamps are slowly Fading out from local post offices??  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
958 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add duncanvr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I sell stamps and postal history on eBay for years as some of you may know. I mail my buyer lots the traditional way with envelopes and stamps attached. We like to mix and match the different values Oz stamps we usually get from the post office. But in recent months I find the post offices are having less and less stock of different value stamps. In fact the city post office had hardly any stamps to offer at all. To the point that in the past few weeks we have been asked several times by post office staff 'why do we need stamps?' It seems in our area in Sydney at least the post office mentality has changed. They seem to be steering away from selling stamps altogether. Is anyone else finding this in their area? I see one day in the future where they will no longer hold postage stamps at all. A real shame.
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
4962 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   4:35 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that stamps represent a profit center for many postal systems, I doubt they will disappear altogether quickly. Instead I think they will evolve into novelty items that are mostly purchased by collectors over the next 15-25 years but see very little use on mail. This is simply a natural progression as the much more advanced and efficient labeling solutions replace them. As collectors, we should not lose sight of the true purpose of any postal system; to allow people to communicate quickly and cost effectively.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1383 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
.......and we have lots of Canada stamps at my P.O. though I still use mine but on occasion I need an extra because of the weight (International)

Rene
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
958 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A real shame when the day comes that they no longer allow stamps on envelopes for mail outs. It's currently the most convenient way mail small items. If I had to line up in post office every day for a label I would likely quit selling altogether.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2336 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   4:56 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here in my neck of the woods (eastern upstate New York), I've found some post offices are really good about having a lot of stamps and a good selection (Pownal, Vermont) whereas others are slim pickings when it comes to stamps (Hoosick Falls, NY). Others are a gamble and may have a good selection and other times there's very little (Bennington, VT). At least in the U.S. it really seems to vary even in my small area. It depends on the volume of business a post office conducts and the people who work there. I presume there are limits as to how many stamps a post office can order per month. I've also heard some post office try to order some types of stamps and are denied. Other times there's no rhyme or reason as to why some post offices are flush with stamps and others have little to nothing.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
22663 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is anyone else finding this in their area?

For 5 years,
Western Australia Country town.
Definitives OK, the $1 stamps, the $3 overseas OK, beyond that, it is a label.

Explained, it was a hassle accounting the stamp usage every evening.

When Australia Post is paying their upper management 8 million dollars or so, and their franchisees, $14 an hour, you can understand the lack of pride in their choice of career.

I used to feel some pride in Australia Post, but seeing their slide into a kind of "Red Dot" store where they market spin mops and garbage, one just shrugs, and carries on with collecting.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
958 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodd 222 "the $1 stamps, the $3 overseas OK, beyond that, it is a label." Yes this is what we are starting to see to. But quiet often they are out of $3 to overseas international stamps. They want to use a label for that to.

Battlestamps makes a good point 'there are limits as to how many stamps a post office can order per month'

The small post office shops owners here earn really lousy salaries like 15k a year per person and have not had a new agreement from Oz post in 20 years. They are worked long hours for no extra pay. Some store post office owners are at near breaking point.

Our post office also markets a lot of common junk in its store these days I guess they have to so they can pay the top managers salaries. Meanwhile the cost of postage goes up all the time.

Its $17 for a tracking number from here to overseas that does not even get entered in their system. And $25+ for a tracking number that will be properly tracked.

Its not just the lack of stamps its also the ever increasing cost of postage which these days sellers have to absorb or charge to their buyers. Of course there will be less buyers if your postage rate is $17 for a 99 cent item.
Learn More...
4962 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   5:48 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And email is free.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
1807 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   03:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Barcelona (Catalonia, W. Europe) you can only find proper stamps at the philatelic counter of the Spanish GPO and a few stamps at the main branches (2 or 3 on a 1.7 mio city). Most area branches don't have any stamp, you pay and they print a "paid at the office" on your cover or parcel.
At the tobacconist (traditional place for buying stamps) they don't have any commemorative stamps and you have to cope with king's stamps (which, most of us, dislike).
Despite of this, the Spanish PO keeps on churning "commemorative labels" (they still call them "stamps") that nobody uses... Just, some crazy romàntic philatelists.
Edited by Cursus - 03/13/2018 03:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
958 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   03:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of King Stamps what about when Prince Charles finally becomes King in GB will everyone like stamps of King Charles? Or all change to labels then in UK. Maybe QEII stamps will become worth more. Its no good seeing labels take over everywhere. I used to get new stamp issues by post office catalogs of what stamps were coming. Not anymore.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1661 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
UK Royal Mail and Post Office Limited became separate companies on 1 April 2012. Post offices work closely with Royal Mail but are under no obligation to stock or sell stamps unless they wish it.

Re King Charles... it is thought he will take the name of GEORGE when, or if, he gets the crown as monarch are like Popes who can choose their name. George the sixth was an ALBERT at birth hence the "Bertie" nickname. Victoria was an ALEXANDRINA.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
956 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mail many packages or large flats. When I do, I'll stick a couple dollar stamps on and ask the clerk to do a label for the remaining postage. Clerks at the two primary post offices I use in metro Denver; one large, one small; are happy to do that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3468 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a two to five year supply of mint U.S. postage stamps. Our post office will see stamps for a long time.
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a discussion with my postmaster today. He said he has to bring himself ask his clerks what stamps to order, stated "if it was up to me, all I want in stock is flag stamps."
Learn More...
4962 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   2:25 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS mission statement is

Quote:
The Postal Service shall have as its basic function the obligation to provide postal services to bind the Nation together through the personal, educational, literary, and business correspondence of the people. It shall provide prompt, reliable, and efficient services to patrons in all areas and shall render postal services to all communities.

Postal systems exist to deliver mail, not to sell stamps. Stamps are/were simply a means of accounting for prepayments.
Don
Valued Member
United States
331 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   02:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Re King Charles... it is thought he will take the name of GEORGE when, or if, he gets the crown as monarch are like Popes who can choose their name. George the sixth was an ALBERT at birth hence the "Bertie" nickname. Victoria was an ALEXANDRINA.

Thanks for this. Even though I'm a Yank, I've always doubted that he would become Charles III.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  missing perforations
  Inherited some stamps, are they worth anything?
  Canada Help, Please?
  FLOREX Orlando stamp show
  zip blocks, mail early and copyrights
  Should dealers use postage on stamp shipments sent outside the U.S.?
  Soaking Stamps: The Basics (No, this is not about self-adhesives!)
  Another Favourite cover! Sc#63
  2¢ Harding .....flat, or rotary,...rotary or flat??
  1c 1851 Plate 12 Stamps
  Stamp gauge for top and bottom
  Scott 25 vs 26 confusion
  Dead Letter Office Stamp - Country?
  Cheapest source for 102 sales cards?
  German overprint "Wir sind frei!" on Hetuva 15 centu - Identification?
  Austria 1890-96 50kr S.C. #61 "Perf 10" - Stamp is perf 10.5 - Different ID?
  Straits Settlements King George V 10c Die 1 WM4 Mult Crown & Script CA - Different Colors / ID?
  CHINA PRC Sct # 1451 1978 Highway Bridge COLOR ERROR
  Buda, IL. Can you determine Year?
  A U.S. telegraph frank you've probably never seen before.
  Scott 541 - Extra slash
  What's your favourite pre-1900 stamp design?
  Offset Washington 2c type question
  Bidder Cancels Close to Closing Time
  Is this damaged stamp?

Checks Mix... it's tasty!
  Inherited some stamps, are they worth anything?
  missing perforations
  Should dealers use postage on stamp shipments sent outside the U.S.?
  FLOREX Orlando stamp show
  What's your favourite pre-1900 stamp design?
  1c 1851 Plate 12 Stamps
  Finland Cancel Information Needed
  Cogwheels
  Latin Species Names For Plants & Animals
  zip blocks, mail early and copyrights
  Is this #594 (Scott) ?
  Canada Help, Please?
  Bidder Cancels Close to Closing Time
  Institute for Analytical Philately
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Another Favourite cover! Sc#63
  Garage Sale Find. I know nothing about stamps!
  Modern Industrial Art and Design
  Canada Stamps : On Steiner pages.
  Scientists
  Soaking Stamps: The Basics (No, this is not about self-adhesives!)
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  German overprint "Wir sind frei!" on Hetuva 15 centu - Identification?
  Great Britain : On Steiner pages.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05