Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help to identify very old Italian... still life painting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Scvkim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hope Im not intruding. Does this cancellation look at all like something that may have actually been used? I've looked at hundreds of cancellations but nothing like this. Looks like it says Milano Ferra? I'm looking for a time frame.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1520 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi; looks like 1968.What is on the other side? looks like some artistic work of art? The cancels are bleeding into the gesso on the support?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2165 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are we looking at the still life? A painting of a cover?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5887 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   4:47 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please show the whole thing?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3500 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   5:43 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't this simply a representation of a letter front on canvas, with a postmark either constructed by the artist or provided for favour at a post office?
United States
2 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scvkim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It's copied from the style of Evaristo Baschenis, the signature even looks similar but he painted in the 1600's I'm assuming before postage stamps. The thing is, it belonged to my in-laws who were traveling in and out of Germany during world war II and I know they brought other paintings with them. But 1968? It's stamped on the back: ORIGINAL OIL PAINTING ITALY.
I just have to get rid of it and I don't want to drop it off at the donation center until I at least try.
Thank you all very much for any input.

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1520 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh ok; we get it now.The card is painted in the painting!
The wavy cancel I believe was used from 1928 in Italy and the cicular
cancel dates from the early 20's.For the date in the cancel it
could be a 0 but that would make it too early(1908).So we can assume
the copier put in these dates for fun..Maybe there is a cryptic meaning
in the names on the card? perhaps the buyer? who is Angela ?
Edited by perf12 - 03/13/2018 7:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1867 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, the painted cancellations are modern. They don't look like any European pre-stamp markings that I have seen; they look like 1950's-'70's vintage postal markings.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05