Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

... neither by snow nor rain nor... The weather and the Post Office  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2526 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   3:01 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
"The U.S. Postal Service does not have an official motto. The phrase which most people associate with the postal office is that which is engraved on the outside of the James A. Farley Post Office building at 8th Avenue & 33rd Street in New York, New York: Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

My part of the US has been hit with three major nor'easters in two weeks. I am sitting here, recovering from Round One of shovel-duty, knowing that we will not be seeing the mailman today (though someone in a delivery truck dropped off a package this morning). That made me start thinking...

It seems to me when I was a kid we got mail delivery no matter what the weather (we also went to school even if it snowed, but that is another story).

I'd like to know if older folks here can tell us how mail delivery service was when YOU were kids during crummy weather. I would think that in the days of mail delivery being far more important to businesses, taking a snow-day would have been a big problem.

Thoughts?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1281 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I live in the Berkshires of MA and grew up in Western MA. Back when I was a young whipper snapper the mail made it no matter what. Now if there is a big snow storm there will be no mail delivery. If there is a medium snow storm there will be no delivery. If there is a minor snow storm it will probably make it, not definitely, probably. The quality overall has gone way down as well with constant delays, late mail etc.. Twice in past five weeks I arrived home to find an envelope that would not fit in the mailbox on top of the mailbox in the pouring rain held there tenuously with a rubber band and soaking wet. Meanwhile Fedex and UPS are on time and get it to the house with zero drama. It is only a matter of time until the bankrupt, cash hemorrhaging USPS becomes a distant memory. Might be 20 years but it will happen. In the meantime they suck.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2526 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   3:18 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, that means you are getting some of the white stuff today, too!
Pillar Of The Community
1281 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another foot of white nastiness.
Learn More...
4962 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   3:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I also remember mailing coming through in all weather conditions short of a blizzard. But we also planted the mailbox post into a large farmers milk can so we could move the mailbox in before the snowplows came by and buried it for weeks at a time. (I do recall there were a few times when no access to the mailbox would interrupt a delivery.)

I now live in a slightly more moderate climate and our regular mailman makes deliveries up to around 2-3" of snow; beyond that no deliveries. But we also have a substitute mailman who refuses to deliver if it even rains.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2526 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   4:15 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never thought of the fact some people have mailboxes! We've always had a mailman who walks up to the front door...
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Envelope mailed from northern NJ February 22 arrived here in central Indiana March 11. It is a monthly statement that usually arrives about the 25th of the month. Ain't modern technology wonderful.
Valued Member
Canada
261 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EasyOne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure you don't all live in Canada? Your observations sound familiar to me!

Except more and more of us are now walking to mail boxes in the near vicinity and NOT having a mail delivery person come to our door.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
861 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both passenger and freight trains used to be similar, operating in what seemed to be extreme weather. Nowadays service can be shut down with a couple of feet of snow on the ground. Trains used to carry mail, with that service briefly revived in modern Amtrak times.
Stamp Smarter's 20th Century US Fancy Cancel database:
http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...rn_Home.html
Valued Member
Learn More...
304 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also recall that mail service was a lot more dependable in the "old days". I'm now in my mid-60s and grew up in the Boston area. I don't remember a single occasion when the mail failed to arrive whatever the weather, although I seem to recall a big blizzard in the mid-60s when we were sure that the mail service would certainly be halted. Our development was still in the process of being built - took a few years back then - and we initial settlers all had our mailboxes on poles at the top of the street. While we kids were enjoying our day off from school and frolicking in the deep snow, we thought that we would check the mailbox just for fun. And, lo and behold, the mail was there - not just our mail but the mail for all our neighbors. The mailman had indeed arrived but, given the extreme conditions, had apparently decided to stuff the entirety of the neighborhood mail into one box and be on his way. We kids had great fun playing mailman that day by sorting out all the mail and putting it in the appropriate box.

Of course, that was also a time when we were all less preoccupied with safety. No seat belts, never mind airbags, people drove tipsy and smoked cigarettes more often, kids were just kicked out of the house and told to be back for dinner without our parents having any idea of where we were or what we doing, hitchhiking around town without a second thought, and EPA and OSHA not breathing down every business' neck (not that I disagree with that - interesting that those agencies were created during the Nixon administration).

Although there's little excuse for stopping delivery in moderate conditions, I guess I would still cut the USPS some slack with regard to having mail deliverers go out in hazardous conditions. I don't think I get anything in the mail anymore that is so super urgent that it requires a mailman to slip and slide to the post office to pick up the truck and the mail and then drive around in iffy conditions. If something is that important, I usually get it by fax, text, email or more expensive Fedex. Of course, I live in the Arizona desert where a snowflake can nary be found, so easy for me to say . . .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2526 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   4:37 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oracle - since you were in my area "in the day", do YOU remember the governor shutting down the entire state, or the mayor shutting down the entire city of Boston, THE DAY BEFORE a storm was to hit?

And then the storm doesn't come...

I'd say that was a big NO. I chuckle when they announce "all non-essential state workers stay home"..........
Learn More...
4962 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   4:51 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only have one thought every time I hear the term "non-essential workers"... which is if the job you do is non-essential then why do you have a job? I would feel pretty bad and lose any motivation if I was told that I was a non-essential worker. Pfft.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
1281 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2526 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   5:07 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
THANKS Stude... I was afraid to say it and be accused of being non-PC..............
Valued Member
Learn More...
304 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nells - Nope, I don't remember that ever happening in those days. Maybe a much higher percentage of workers were essential back then versus in the current environment. Then again . . .
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 03/15/2018 7:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
861 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget that back when, homes in urban areas (at least) would get two deliveries of mail a day during Christmas time.
Stamp Smarter's 20th Century US Fancy Cancel database:
http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...rn_Home.html
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  missing perforations
  Inherited some stamps, are they worth anything?
  Canada Help, Please?
  FLOREX Orlando stamp show
  zip blocks, mail early and copyrights
  Should dealers use postage on stamp shipments sent outside the U.S.?
  Soaking Stamps: The Basics (No, this is not about self-adhesives!)
  Another Favourite cover! Sc#63
  2 Harding .....flat, or rotary,...rotary or flat??
  1c 1851 Plate 12 Stamps
  Stamp gauge for top and bottom
  Scott 25 vs 26 confusion
  Dead Letter Office Stamp - Country?
  Cheapest source for 102 sales cards?
  German overprint "Wir sind frei!" on Hetuva 15 centu - Identification?
  Austria 1890-96 50kr S.C. #61 "Perf 10" - Stamp is perf 10.5 - Different ID?
  Straits Settlements King George V 10c Die 1 WM4 Mult Crown & Script CA - Different Colors / ID?
  CHINA PRC Sct # 1451 1978 Highway Bridge COLOR ERROR
  Buda, IL. Can you determine Year?
  A U.S. telegraph frank you've probably never seen before.
  Scott 541 - Extra slash
  What's your favourite pre-1900 stamp design?
  Offset Washington 2c type question
  Bidder Cancels Close to Closing Time
  Is this damaged stamp?

Checks Mix... it's tasty!
  Inherited some stamps, are they worth anything?
  missing perforations
  Should dealers use postage on stamp shipments sent outside the U.S.?
  FLOREX Orlando stamp show
  What's your favourite pre-1900 stamp design?
  1c 1851 Plate 12 Stamps
  Finland Cancel Information Needed
  Cogwheels
  Latin Species Names For Plants & Animals
  zip blocks, mail early and copyrights
  Is this #594 (Scott) ?
  Canada Help, Please?
  Bidder Cancels Close to Closing Time
  Institute for Analytical Philately
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Another Favourite cover! Sc#63
  Garage Sale Find. I know nothing about stamps!
  Modern Industrial Art and Design
  Canada Stamps : On Steiner pages.
  Scientists
  Soaking Stamps: The Basics (No, this is not about self-adhesives!)
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  German overprint "Wir sind frei!" on Hetuva 15 centu - Identification?
  Great Britain : On Steiner pages.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05