Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Collecting Software  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PAP_4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently got back into stamp collecting and was fortunate to find this forum. I searched for any discussion on stamp collecting software and all I found were entries from 2013-2014.

Does anyone have any opinion about the "best" stamp collecting software available in 2018?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
5368 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   5:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are several offerings, all have their pros and cons. One or two have previously broken forum rules so listing their names is not allowed.

The retail cost of the two largest desktop apps is about the same. But the initial cost of the app is almost nothing compared to how much time you will invest in entering your stamp data. So for me I use and recommend Stamp Mange since it does not encrypt/lock my own data. (If something happens to the company, this allows me to export and work with my data without being stranded.) But do not count on this company for support, their support is awful.

The other company has much better support but encrypts your data.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
9 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverlock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a software person, I like GCstar. It's free, and it's open source. I can modify it to do what I want, the way I want. The included stamp database model was pretty basic but after an evening's tinkering I had it much more to my liking. You don't have to change anything - but you can. And for me, that's a huge plus.

The database is a plain XML text file. You could, quite literally, load it in a text editor and look at it. And change it too!

And in the vein of turning a downside into an upside... even though the original developer has moved on, the program is still being actively maintained (and upgraded) by the community.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
607 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Stamp Mate 2015 and find it very flexible to use and modify to suit your inventory needs.

It also has a relation to one of the online stamp identification sites so you can download base information including images and then modify the listings, add to your own listings as you see fit.

Only issue that some may have is that it does not include any sort of catalog values. For me that is not an issue, I'd rather do that for myself, but for others that may be a dealbreaker.

Here is an example from my collection, listing issues for Australia from 1963, sorted by release date order. Items lacking pictures are my additions to the data for varieties listed in the Australian Commonwealth Stamp Collectors Catalog that are not listed in Gibbons, Scott or Michel

It costs about 40 Euros (about US$50) but its a very stable program that lets you do a lot of customization.
APS #173088
Check out my philately blog at http://djcmhphilately2.blogspot.com/
Edited by DJCMHOH - 03/13/2018 6:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3312 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   09:40 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My programme -

Learn More...
5368 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   09:49 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The Luddite stamp catalog

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There you go
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1880 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased the Deluxe World Wide Edition StampManage from Liberty Street software. It works pretty well but found one inconvenient bug that I reported to Paul. I like the fact it has all Scott numbers and the database is open so you could use it other ways. I like to use it as an identifier since it has images for many issues (quality varies but mostly better than a printed version which is not 100% illustrated) and Scott numbers.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1413 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have yet to see a software program that has a true image of every Scott or Unitrade #

René
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1880 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Every" can mean 100% complete (all, major and minor) to some. Stamp Manage has a substantial number of images. At this point, I would say it has more than enough to be very useful.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1413 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore

I was speaking in "general" terms and since I cannot name my software.......
René
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1351 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PAP4,

Try googling " stamp collecting software" and you'll see the one I use for my USA collection. Its not Stamp Manage and I am very happy with it.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
592 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, based on 51Studabaker's endorsement, I download the demo version of Stamp Mange USA 2018. It IS a very nice product, so I ordered and paid for the key code to unlock my demo version. The notice said I should receive the code with 3 hours.

I admit that 51Studabaker warned their support was somewhat lacking.

Subsequently I did (have) not recive(d) a key code for the product. I check my span according to StampManager's instructions, but no luck.

I have sent 4 emails over the last several days requesting the key code (both to sales@libertystreet.c which is their support site for sales and to libertyst@gmail.c) with no response. Their 'online' live support isn't .. best I can tell it's always 'off line'. Maybe there is another in with StampManager to which the normal customer doesn't have access. Who knows?

Potentially, nice product, very weak customer support. I'm working with PayPal to get a refund. Purchase at your own risk is my experience.
Valued Member
Learn More...
324 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that the stamp management software that I use is the "he who shall not be named" one and I like it tremendously. Does that mean that I cannot even mention their name in this forum to help out all of the forum readers who (like myself) flock to topic titles such as this eager to learn the latest on how to most efficiently manage their collection for personal reasons as well for purposes such as insurance? Not sure I understand how such a drastic rule serves the membership. It's one thing to sanction the offender by not allowing them to post or actively publicize their services; it's another thing to deprive the members of potentially useful information. I've looked through the rules and am still confused - could someone clarify the particulars of whatever rule carries this "punishment" and the rationale behind it? Thanks.
Forum Dad
USA
1385 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's one thing to sanction the offender by not allowing them to post or actively publicize their services; it's another thing to deprive the members of potentially useful information.

They spammed the snot out of our forum with many different IDs. Even had multiple IDs at the same time going, replying to themselves, pretending to be customers recommending the software. We don't reward that kind of deceit with any type of with promotion. They will forever not be mentioned here.
Valued Member
Learn More...
324 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, bobby.

Now I'm beginning to wonder whether indeed I'm using the software being referenced, since my dealings with them has always been very professional and the owner's behavior has never given any hint that he would be inclined to undertake the cited actions.

Would someone in the know be willing to PM me to confirm the identity? I would like to know if I am involved with this person.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05