Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

3 new revenue acquisitions courtesy of The Bay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4056 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   7:25 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Each one somewhat unusual.

First an envelope of "Oakley's Florabel Sachet" from the Oakley Soap & Perfumery Co. of New York, a 5/8-cent Battleship proprietary stamp on the reverse with a matching magenta company cancel.

Perfume envelopes with revenues still affixed, while not rare, are not exactly common either. They make for great aesthetic pieces, as most are printed in very colorful ornate designs.

Next, a piece I had been coveting for my illegal usage collection for quite some time. Seller never put it on sale or reduced the price, and my polite inquiry as to whether he would entertain offers received no response. Still, I kept adding it to my watched list every time it was relisted, for over a year. Well, when eBay had their 1-day 20% off coupon last week, I figured I might as well bite, as it's a unique piece. It's not like I'll find another.

Scott #113 (2-cent post horse and rider) block of 4 and single paying a 10-cent tax on a promissory note. Blocks of 4 of #113 are uncommon, and in fact, are considerably less common used than mint.

A single catalogs $75, a pair $170, so a modest premium for a pair, but the catalog value for a block of 4 skyrockets to $1,350, a huge premium. Not dissimilar to block of 4 prices on 1st issue revenues, where on certain denominations, the premiums can be similar, if not even higher.

Lastly, an item that I spotted, set a snipe for, and waited patiently in the weeds. More scarce than it initially appears, R13d (silk paper) is moderately tough. What makes this nice is that it is a pair... and per the Curtis Census, only the 5th recorded multiple of any size.

In addition to the blue threads visible on the reverse, there is a large blue thread visible on the face of the left stamp at bottom left. A very nice addition.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5166 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And 10 cents is the proper rate for the 113 document.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4056 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   8:30 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep. I've learned (the hard way) to check the rate tables before committing on expensive items.
Pillar Of The Community
2012 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never realized that used blocks of 113 were so scarce. This one was sold by Siegel for $550. If you bought it for even less than that on eBay you made out really well! Nice.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4056 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   1:41 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the reason that one brought so much below cat is that it's pretty heavily hammered cancelwise. Also, don't forget to add 18% for the juice.

This one went for much closer to Scott:

https://siegelauctions.com/lots.php...084-lot-3318

Browsing through Siegel's power search really gives you a sense of just how uncommon used blocks are. Lots of used pairs and strips, and plenty of mint blocks, but not used.

Excluding repeats, I come up with a total of 6 used blocks of 4 or larger sold by Siegel in the period covered by the Power Search. That ain't many.

Also, a block of 4 isn't the same as a strip of 4 with respect to scarcity or valuation. That's a mistake frequently seen, where sellers/dealers price a strip of 4 as a block of 4 rather than what it should be: 2x pair price (perhaps with a slight premium). The two are not the same.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
594 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Without doing the Siegel search, I am curious how many of the blocks appeared to have been postal use and how many revenue use. In the past postage collectors have shunned examples that appear to have manuscript cancels and thus probable revenue use. Not trying to denigrate your acquisition, but rather to elevate these improper uses to the level of their postal cancel cousins.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4056 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   6:22 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Zero were revenue usages.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
594 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So this is really a great gem. Well, all improper uses of postage stamps are scarce, but this is really something special and probably unique. Now most postage stamp collectors would probably shun your great piece, but it is much scarcer than a block of four used postally. In fact, probably unique. Congratulations!
Ron Lesher
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05