Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Philatelic GEM from our Favorite eBay Seller!

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Reedededge to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
People keep buying their crap, despite, in this case, the plainly obvious trimmed perforations....and, they still proudly display their ASDA logo!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stamps-...AOSwYutaoex5

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by Reedededge - 03/14/2018 02:00 am

Pillar Of The Community
2012 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not purchase anything on eBay. Nor do I pay any attention to the ASDA logo. The cartel continues to hurt people after many years and Anthony's and their ilk go unpunished. A true consensus of equally outraged fellow collectors making their displeasure known to eBay and ASDA would be the ticket but it will never happen. Too many people have brainwashed themselves into believing that eBay is a necessity to the hobby and do not want to upset the apple cart. Sad.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4056 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   08:31 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Too many people have brainwashed themselves into believing that eBay is a necessity to the hobby

Valued Member
161 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mount-this to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Think of all the money these bidders could save if they just invested in a pair of scissors.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Live and learn
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1062 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   10:43 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do not purchase anything on eBay. Nor do I pay any attention to the ASDA logo.

There are ethical sellers on eBay and the best of them are ASDA members or APS Dealer members. While some buyers can fend for themselves, less experienced collectors should pay attention to dealer affiliations. Buyers who encounter issues with ASDA or APS dealers have some recourse. While eBay and PayPal also offer protection, buyers must be able to identify problems in a timely manner before the money disappears. Using a credit card to pay through PayPal retains the high ground somewhat longer than a debit transaction. Buyers who look for the lowest price or fall for "too good to be true" offers should expect to be burned over and over.

It would be helpful if the OP reported his findings to the ASDA at:

asda@americanstampdealer.com

It would be very helpful to report the results back to this forum. If the ASDA is not enforcing the code of ethics, some members may run for the exits. It would also be useful to report the same listings to the APS and ask for a hearing by the Board of Vice Presidents. If the BVP makes a finding against, disciplinary actions will be published in the APS Journal. Unfortunately, the eBay process is a black hole with no transparency. If eBay determines that the listing violates some rule, it is removed, thereby hiding any evidence. Anecdotal reports suggest that eBay account representatives have the ability to block listing removals for high volume sellers.

Buyers can improve the marketplace by supporting ASDA and APS dealers.
Edited by cfrphoto - 03/14/2018 10:44 am
Forum Dad
USA
1404 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If eBay determines that the listing violates some rule, it is removed, thereby hiding any evidence.

I have back door keys to eBay and can get the first image even months after a listing has been shut down by eBay. You just need the item number...

https://www.coincommunity.com/ebay_...ge-image.asp
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been talking to the officials at the ASDA. They assure me that "take this seriously and we are working on it."

More people complaining to ASDA would help.
Pillar Of The Community
2012 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The ASDA needs to give me a reason to believe that their logo means something.

I have contacted the ASDA multiple times via email, telephone and snail mail regarding our favorite seller's listings of spurious stamps on eBay. I reference specific items that even Ray Charles could see are fakes (think trimmed 315's) and "mint" classics with visible lightening of cancels. There deafening silence and complete inaction says it all. As a matter of fact they are ramping up their eBay promoting joint partnership. eBay is a sponsor of some ASDA shows. They are joined at the hip and do not want to upset the financial apple cart.

A September 2017 APS Dealer Survey shows concern amongst dealers in regards to fake and misdescribed items on eBay. Thd link to the survey is below. Comments related to eBay start on page 7 and continue on subsequent pages.

https://stamps.org/userfiles/file/r...-Results.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1873 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We learn about the perils of the world from an early age. People who chase classic stamps or W-F's "on the cheap" bear the largest part of the responsibility for their actions.

Viewing the whole of eBay as "taboo" is downright silly.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4056 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   12:00 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Viewing the whole of eBay as "taboo" is downright silly.

Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
2012 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Silly is supporting any entity that turns a blind eye towards fraud in their own house and convicted felons (philip ryle) operating with impunity. Silly is also giving credence to organizations that purport to have ethical behavior standards for their members but do nothing to punish those that use the logo to falsely instill a sense of confidence in purchasing decisions. Their lack of action is doing a great disservice to collectors as well as the good and honest dealers that are out there. I absolutely do agree that the bargain hunting buyers that lack philatelic education and suspend reality in order to purchase that rare $5000 stamp for $169.39 are their own worst enemies. Mostly though, much good would come of eBay and the ASDA simply enforcing their own policies and credos rather than blowing hot air.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1873 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The postage stamp area very probably has the largest number of crooks of any area of eBay. Paper is easy to manipulate, and demand for certain stamps is larger than supply. So, dishonest individuals will supply what naive, greedy, or delusional people demand.

In addition to stamps, I buy bookbindiing materials on eBay. The prices are almost better than I can find on Amazon or from local vendors, and not once (knock on wood) have I had a problem with delivery or quality.

With stamps, I buy from sellers I know. Sometimes I buy from new (to me) sellers. Usually, there are no problems. When there is a problem, I make a mental note and move on. Life is too short to spend time on trivial hassles.

In a perfect world, eBay would screen sellers, but the stamp area would be a problem however much scrutiny sellers received.

Stamp Community Forum serves a very important function in bringing attention to sketchy/dishonest sellers. I would be pleasantly surprised if stamp collecting organizations followed suit.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the ASDA logo means absolutely nothing, or does not instill confidence to a buyer knowing their transaction is backed by a code of ethics, then what is the purpose of having it in the first place? I do believe buyers need to bear some responsibility for their decisions, but to allow an organization to endorse a downright deceitful dealer that they have had numerous complaints about, is hard to totally forgive. Just MHO....
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would be helpful if the OP reported his findings to the ASDA at:

asda@americanstampdealer.com

DONE!!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4056 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   1:45 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the ASDA logo means absolutely nothing, or does not instill confidence to a buyer knowing their transaction is backed by a code of ethics, then what is the purpose of having it in the first place?

Chest pounding? Feelgoodism? You see it with politicians all the time: Bills that don't actually accomplish anything other than allowing the proponent to point at and say "I did this!"

Giving the appearance of being ethical and having standards is frequently more important than following through on the claims. Sad but true.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05