Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

DDR Official stamps - FAO danstamps54

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

17 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add philh2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Dan
A quick search on this site, has lead me to discover you've a strong interest in the above and I'm wondering if you can help me identify a few?
I've purchased a selection off eBay, that unfortunately weren't catalogued and arrived loose in a small bag. I've managed to separate the first issue (dots), but I'm struggling with the a few of the vertical lined ones.
If I upload a few pics would you be able to help me?
Many thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
786 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi philh2004,

First of all, welcome to the Forum!! You've come to one of the best places for stamp collectors online!

Go ahead and post away. I'm not the only one here that can give you assistance. I'm sure we'll get them all sorted out.

Dan
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
The poor relations of stampdom need a home too. ... I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example. (LSNW 11/20/17 p.54)
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member 223433 Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1520 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
786 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philh2004,

Here's a quick and dirty guide to DDR officials:

SC O1 -17 have dots in the background:

The remainder of officials have a lined background:

Now the difference between between the O18-O27 series and O37-O43 is paper and watermark.

O18-O27 is on plain paper with a 297 watermark. The O37-O43 series is on granite paper with a 313 watermark. The easiest way to distinguish between the two series is the paper. Granite paper looks like this:

Now for the trip-ups:

The O22 is on plain paper with the arc pointing left:

The O22a has the arc pointing right:

The O22a is identical to O40 except for the paper and watermark. The O40 is on granite paper with a 313 wmk and the O22a is on plain paper with a 297 wmk. You have to be careful checking for granite paper and watermarks on O22a's being offered.

Now, if you want to get further into the weeds, O37-43 have two different perforations: 13 X 12 1/2 and perf. 14. There are also O18, O19, O21 and O25 issues that were printed on granite paper. The only way to distinguish them is by watermark. They have a 297 watermark whereas the other granite paper printings have a 313 wmk.

To get even deeper into the weeds, there are also plate flaws that are quite collectable. Some collectors also collect by the direction of the watermark.

Hope this helps!
Dan
The poor relations of stampdom need a home too. ... I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example. (LSNW 11/20/17 p.54)
Edited by danstamps54 - 03/14/2018 11:44 am
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tgswanner to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the pics and descriptions danstamps54. That was very helpful.
Valued Member
17 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philh2004 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dan for the response and the pictures. I'll try and sort out as best I can and come back to you with some pictures later on, with the ones I'm still struggling with.
Valued Member
17 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philh2004 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm using Michel catalogue numbers so I hope you can follow! I've split up best I can, so just a couple to check with you.

First up is 12, the 40pfg red from the first set. As you can see the left hand stamp seems darker and thicker printing. Would this just be a printing issue?

Valued Member
17 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philh2004 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you just confirm how many values were printed on the granite paper?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
786 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I am comfortable with Michel numbers.

I can't tell for sure from the scan but it seems that you have a CTO on the right ("nachdruck") and an original on the left.

The way to tell is to look at the raster points at the top the the stamp.

The original will have three raster points at the top, the nachdruck will have five.

That would explain the difference in color. They are different printings.

The number of values printed on granite paper depends on how you would classify MiNr 29y through 33y. Michel would say they are different printings, Scott would say, no. I'm going from memory here but anything past MiNr34 would be granite. (gefasertes Papier)

Dan

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4419 Posts
Posted 03/14/2018   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a good site about DDR stamps
showing the differences in the official stamps
quite well.
But it is only in German.

At the homepage scroll down on the left to DDR Bestimmungshilfen
and click on Dienstmarken

http://lumpus2000.piranho.de/ddr.htm

Valued Member
17 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philh2004 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dan. From your explanation & my very basic knowledge of German(!) Michel hve 29-33 down as granite paper but with a different watermark to 34-41.
I've managed to separate the granite & non granite, so should hopefully be on my way now!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
786 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philh2004,

I am glad to be of some assistance! It isn't that I get inundated with questions about DDR officials!

The Lumpus2000 website that Lithograving posted is always a good go-to site if you have questions about DDR stamps.

When you get to 50 posts, contact me and perhaps I can fill some empty spaces.

Happy stamping!
Dan
Valued Member
17 Posts
Posted 03/15/2018   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philh2004 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's 1-17 taken care of!

My DDR collection is probably about 85% complete at the moment. Picked a few bargains up off eBay last week, so slowly filling the gaps in.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
786 Posts
Posted 03/16/2018   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be looking forward to viewing your progress with the remainder of the DDR officials.

Most DDR stamps are very reasonable, especially the CTO's (Nachdruck).
The difficult ones are the earlier issues (e.g. the Mao series) and Sperrwert, limited edition stamps.

If you want to up your challenge, try collecting them in "postfrisch" (MNH) condition.

Dan
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05