Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

3 Cent Washington Grill Verification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
56 Posts
Posted 03/16/2018   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new to grills so I just want to verify that these are right. Thanks in advance for the help.

E Grill

F grill

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
754 Posts
Posted 03/16/2018   11:48 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, based on the number of points that is correct.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 03/17/2018   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mjack to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you help with this? I feel it has part of a grill but then if I look at it differently and I don't.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2042 Posts
Posted 03/17/2018   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first thing you need to learn is how to not use graphite. Graphite should not be used or recommended. Your stamps show why.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 03/17/2018   01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mjack to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I searched previous threads and this site was recommended numerous times. I did see some people with a different opinion.

http://stampsmarter.com/learning/ID...8Grills.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1248 Posts
Posted 03/17/2018   02:26 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eventually some graphite will find its way to the front of other stamps whenever the back of the stamp makes contact or transfers graphite to the inside of a glassine envelope, approval card or someone's thumb. This is especially unfortunate if the recipient stamp is yellow or orange.
Edited by cfrphoto - 03/17/2018 02:33 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
754 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   10:24 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think graphite can be used when there is no other option - when the grill is impossible to see otherwise. It is not something to be used indiscriminately. For your last stamp - it's hard to tell - guessing 12x17 though - F.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mjack to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the help and info.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1248 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   10:52 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think graphite can be used when there is no other option

Watermark fluid, or more specifically lighter fluid because evaporation is slower, and strong light at an angle to the stamp while moist will reveal any grill.

Alternatively, careful examination in oblique light with 15x loupe should expose any grill points. Bank Note series grills are the most difficult to see. Some 1869 grills may also be difficult to pick out, but I haven't had much difficulty seeing 1868 grills. Unfortunately, few collectors have invested in high quality optics for examining stamps. If every collector owned and used a high quality 10x or 15x magnifier, returns of badly described stamp on eBay, HipStamps or Delcampe would mushroom.

Adding graphite simply makes the back of the stamp dirty and creates a hazard for other stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1700 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If every collector owned and used a high quality 10x or 15x magnifier,

I totally agree. A modest investment, with a potentially big return.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mjack to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the information. I'm not brave enough to try and erase them so I've put them in mounts and in a stock book. I will remember your tips for the future. I'm going to look into lights and magnifiers this week. I will eventually attempt watermark and/or lighter fluid. But, I worry the stamps will be weaker and I'm not the most gentle person. Again, thank you all for the advice.
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You will want to practice on inexpensive stamps. Both for viewing and for handling.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05