Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Collection Of Missouri Town Rppc's Is Growing

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Decided I would finally make a thread to show off the RPPC's (real picture postcards) that I have either purchased or saved the images from the sold listings.

I have been actively pursuing these over the last three years. I will elaborate when I can.

-MV
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stewartsville, Missouri

Stewartsville's downtown business section was home to multiple businesses among them a general store, a lumber yard, a bank, a drug store.

On the first postcard, the building with the tall, elaborate "crown" was built in 1882 after a fire destroyed part of downtown. The first floor housed the Stewartsville Bank from 1882-1887. The upstairs was the opera house. Later the town's drug store occupied the space.

The only building remaining on the Opera House block mentioned on the second postcard is the bank building however it no longer looks like that as it was "modernized" and is now a branch of US Bank.

The last one is Main Street looking north.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 03/20/2018   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff. An interesting view on a RPPC with a insightful message and a clean stamp with a sharp postmark is the total package. Closest thing to time travel in a singular object.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/20/2018   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, I like seeing them used but have seen many that are either unused or written on but never mailed.

-MV
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/20/2018   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Altamont, Missouri

This is one I saved the images from the sold listing. The back of the postcard stated this is the "Altamont Military Band"

I think this was likely taken on Main Street as the building behind the band looks to match the decrepit/abandoned one shown on Google Maps in August 2013.

Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/20/2018   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brimson, Missouri

A pair I saved the images from the sold listings. Same seller had these. I do not know how many different cards there were for a set. I haven't seen any others in my eBay searches.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/20/2018   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Princeton, Missouri

Princeton is the county seat of Mercer County. The square in Princeton has suffered from fires through the years the most recent occurred in 2016.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/20/2018   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cainsville, Missouri

I recently purchased this one. I haven't been to Cainsville in years in fact the last time I was there was probably when I was in high school.

Cainsville did not have enough female students for sports for several years. However, a few years ago the state implemented a plan where schools that didn't have enough could "co-op" with one that had a team. I think any opportunity to keep students active is a great thing that should be encouraged.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/20/2018   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Burlington Junction, Missouri

I've always liked railroad themed postcards. Burlington Junction is located in Nodaway County.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Osgood, Missouri

Osgood continues to dwindle away population wise. The post office closed in 1965.

In fact, I came across a Youtube video filmed around 1985 that shows this building's dramatic decline
fy2pmweEh1U

Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trenton, Missouri

The Grand River flooded in early July 1909. The flood affected Mercer County to the north and Livingston County to the south.

Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chula, Missouri

This one is a companion to the Trenton/Grand River one posted previously. I left this one larger.

I don't know how others feel but I consider this a RPPC since the smaller images are actual pictures.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
King City, Missouri

This is a RPPC even if my scan makes it look printed. King City is in Gentry County.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Galt, Missouri

John Wesley Root was born in 1840 and died in 1924. Judge Root was a Civil War veteran. Of interest, he also served as postmaster at Galt.

East side of the square.

Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Osgood, Missouri

Almost forgot I had this one.

Cousins & Sons Auto Livery. I own this postcard but haven't found much about the family or business.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 03/22/2018   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mill Grove, Missouri

Mill Grove is located in Mercer County. Its post office open in 1873 and closed in 1974.

I believe this is a picture of the Christian Church. http://charles-mikkelshus.blogspot....ristian.html but have no way to be certain.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.43 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05