Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Royal Mail Crackdown As Crooks Cash In On Fake Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,231Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
567 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add modernstamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A lot of fraud out there.
Here is a link to the article:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/...ash-12246684
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5398 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting article.

I'm always left with the same question, "Why don't they just do their job and cancel the stamps in the mail stream?" Postal services should "crack down" on their own shortcomings first.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by bookbndrbob - 03/26/2018 12:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5478 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The main burden of this is fakes, rather than real but unfranked. On the latter, all of the questions I received when advertising kiloware on eBay were about the presence of unfranked material.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5398 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The fake, postally used Machins that I have seen advertised on eBay seem to sell much better than genuine modern stamps. I bookmark them occasionally, and they all sell at prices above the minimum bid. This indicates to me that fake stamps are much less of a problem than skips/reused stamps.

Many of the auction lots I receive from the U.K. are franked with reused stamps. I know this because I remove the undamaged stamps from the envelopes. It is obvious when the stamps are reused; they are much easier to remove.. Also, some will have bent and torn corners.

The idea of postal workers closely scrutinizing mail seems a little ridiculous at the present time.

By the way, here are the 2 pieces of mail I received today with postage stamps. Notice that the U.S. piece has the canceller programmed/shifted to the left, where it will not cancel stamps put in the correct place. There was an earlier thread on SCF discussing this practice.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 03/26/2018 3:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5478 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps they assume no-one knows how to position stamps properly anymore! I'd say that most of the domestic mail I receive is franked, but by no means all of it, especially when the package is anything other than the standard size. The problem is that the honest majority ultimately pay in increased postage costs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2246 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why punish the addressee in the case of forged postage? Why not a heftier penalty to the sender and if not paid, suspension of mail service until paid?

From the article:

Quote:
An eBay spokesman said: "Counterfeits are illegal and not welcome on any of our sites.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

As for finding other ways to deliberately lose money, USPS used to sell stamps to their philatelic agents in Europe at 20% discount, assuming stamps would all go to collectors. It came back to bite them as large quantities of stamps were re-sold in the US at 10% discount. I found out recently that the discount still applies. Idiocy is still idiocy.
Edited by hy-brasil - 03/26/2018 7:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1318 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada Post also gives a 20% discount to non-CP offices, such as Shoppers Drugmart locations.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What about fake Royal Mail letterboxes? Here is my mailbox I put together:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5398 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it welded plate or cast metal?
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is plate steel that is bolted. It is an Elephant Trunk brand package box, but it works like a drop box. Letters found at Hobby Lobby, crown at a junk shop, and decals custom printed for outdoor use.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5398 Posts
Posted 03/28/2018   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great mailbox. Hopefully the drunk and distracted drivers will avoid it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
great box GTO
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,231Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05