Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Strong Content - Well, This Probably Explains His Resignation From The Aprl...

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 18,376Next Topic
Page: of 5
Learn More...
9502 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   11:21 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bart,
He was released on bond, so the judge felt he was not a threat to others or himself. For such serious charges, I find that surprising. Hence my concerns that there may be more to this story than we currently understand.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7494 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Successful white male, probably no previous record, so it's not all that surprising. Probably put a monitor on him.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I think his address ought to be removed from the original post, whether or not it's a matter of public record. It's far more accessible here than in the original court filing.
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Edited by Philatarium - 03/29/2018 1:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5205 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   5:03 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EDIT: Never mind. The post I was replying to got deleted between when I read it and when my post finalized. There seems to be a lot of that as of late. I think we all need to take several deep breaths before posting, or even posting at all, if it's a topic we're not enamored with.

If you disagree with a thread, sometimes it's just better to let it lie and allow those who want to discuss do so, and just not participate/read yourself rather than tilting at windmills.

Just my 2 cents.
Edited by revenuecollector - 03/29/2018 5:07 pm
Learn More...
9502 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   5:09 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Post was removed because of the personal attacks. I have invited him to repost without the personal remarks. There is no problem with stating an opinion and/or disagreement with my decision (like several have). But calling me names is not going to fly.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3051 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had independently gone to the website before it was posted here or the other forum and saw the exact same information. What started my checking was the notice by APS of the suspension for this article.

3.11.5 Member Charged With Crime. Any member charged in any court of law with a felony, or charged with crime involving philatelic material or allegations of crimen falsi (class of offenses involving deceit or falsification), may be suspended by the Board of Vice Presidents pending trial and, upon conviction thereof, may be placed on probation, suspended for a definite period, or expelled by the Board of Vice Presidents from the Society.

Since no details were given. people started looking and posted details.
Al
Edited by angore - 03/29/2018 5:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don -- There's a second occurrence of the address under "Related Party."

Please feel free to delete this post.
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Learn More...
9502 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   5:29 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Done.

I would only remove a post or thread if it violates the rules.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Don!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
770 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   6:34 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since I started this brouhaha with my original post, I feel pressed to make a few points...

This, as has been mentioned, is public information, readily available to anyone who desires to sniff around to find it online. Just like in the non-philatelic real world, news programs are loaded with examples of various people being indicted for various alleged misdeeds, with the obvious caveat of 'presumed innocent pending trial.' This is certainly the case here. Transparency is all the rage these days, and deservedly so given all the cover-ups surfacing in the news lately with their resultant fallout. Why shouldn't anything affecting the APS follow suit?

The subject for this division of this forum is 'American Philatelic Society (APS) News & Business.' As distasteful as this news is, it nevertheless fits into this category. Its news with potentially huge negative effects on the APS if Steve should happen to be found guilty of any of these charges. Fortunately, the APS acted swiftly by following its own guidelines and suspended Steve pending his trial and did not try to cover anything up given Steve's "insider" status."

Further, the black eye to the hobby, again, if he is found guilty, reaches far beyond the APS. It has also affected the APRL, and will likely affect the AAPE and the ASD&C magazine, for both of which Steve has been active and a valuable contributor. I'm sure he has been active in other sub-groups of the hobby, such as Indian philatelic societies (I'm guessing here since he is a strong exhibitor of India). These will feel the affects too.

Those members here who prefer to wear the proverbial rose colored glasses, preferring to believe all is well, should just move on to a different thread. Ad hominum attacks on those interested in the topic have no place here lest it degrades to back and forth bantering as found in another forum that many of us frequent, and others have left because of it. Shooting the messenger, regardless of how distasteful the message, is counter productive. We all find this news distasteful.

This said, let me finish by saying I hope and pray the charges against Steve turn out to be BS. As a valuable contributor to our hobby, it would be a damned shame if his presence were lost. As an exhibitor, I've been following his advice on exhibiting for years and own his recent book on the subject. If he's found innocent, no doubt he would be welcomed back by all with open arms...certainly by me.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5376 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I support the position Don takes on this matter .

I disagree about the effects to the APS or any other organization, it is the person himself not anyone else or any group .

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3124 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6430 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why is this information here? What do the accusations have to do specifically with stamp collecting in any way, shape or form?

Religion and politics are verboten in practice ostensibly because they raise the temperature of discussions. I just do not see the positive to publishing and keeping this thread alive. Others have stated that one should not read it if they do not like it. Does that apply to all topics?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5205 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   5:26 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Others have stated that one should not read it if they do not like it. Does that apply to all topics?

On most forums, yes. The browser back button is the great escape hatch on the Interwebz.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6430 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev - I would direct your attention to page two and onwards of the following thread.

http://goscf.com/t/56551&whichpage=...s=Snowflakes

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 18,376Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05