Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have These Stamps Been Cancelled???

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,738Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
577 Posts
Posted 04/02/2018   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add modernstamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hope this is the right forum for this post.

I bought a lot of stamps from an eBay seller and he had them listed as Mint. I was thinking that these two stamps may have cancel marks on them.
Please let me know what you think about them.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 04/02/2018   12:48 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both used
Don

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 04/02/2018   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don,
Thank you so much for clearing this up.
I took these stamps to the post office and they were unsure if they were cancelled or not.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 04/02/2018   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Seigaku to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think they are used too, but you didn't say if they still have their gum. Of course "mint" implies that they do have gum--of some sort. Very fishy.
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 04/02/2018   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StamperMA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When the seller listed these did he show these actual stamps or just a generic image? If it was not these exact stamps did he state somewhere in the listing that he was showing a generic image?

Dennis
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 04/02/2018   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
good point Dennis
Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 04/02/2018   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your responses.
I'm not sure about the gum. It looks like they could have some gum.
I will have to upload a picture of the gum side tomorrow.
The seller did show the actual stamps.
I have uploaded a picture from the auction.

Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 04/02/2018   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StamperMA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that picture, no one can fault you for failing to spot the cancels.

Yes if I look close I can see the mark on the top of the top perfs of theThomas Paine but I would have had to study that stamp closely to spot it. If I look even closer I can see the marks on the O'Neil on the bottom left corner. Since this is not an extremely valuable lot I would not have studied every stamp in detail before purchasing, I would have expected it to be as advertised: mint.

I'd take a closer look at all of them and contact him for replacements. Truth is, if he is a straight shooter he will apologize, tell you to keep these, and then send the replacements.

If he gives you a hassle (I doubt he will), maybe claiming that you might have switched his mint for a used, point out that one can easily see the cancels on the Paine and O'Neil.

Dennis
Edited by StamperMA - 04/02/2018 9:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 04/03/2018   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What picture? It show nothing but poor poor photography.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6529 Posts
Posted 04/03/2018   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I can't see everything very clearly, my general rule is to "stay away".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 04/03/2018   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
good rule
Valued Member
United Kingdom
363 Posts
Posted 05/04/2018   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it just coincidence that the two highest value stamps in a sheet of 8 and 10 cent values should be used?

I dont think so.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,738Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05