Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Laos Stamp Engravers  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
638 Posts
Posted 04/03/2018   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add graphis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Many marvelous engraved stamps to be found from Laos

From 1967-Designs of Temple Sculptures
Scott#141-144

Designer:Sa-Nguan Rodboon

Engraver:Georges Betemps

Engraver:Robert Cami

Engraver:Jean Pheulpin
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1826 Posts
Posted 04/03/2018   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love the designs and colors of Laos stamps. Gorgeous.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 04/03/2018   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a complete Laos to 1973 and this is the first issue (that I have) with the engravers name on it.

By Marc Leguay

Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 04/03/2018   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Woops, He actually engraved much of the first (1951-52) issue as well. Sorry. Wolf-==-
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4409 Posts
Posted 04/03/2018   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great postings graphis and stampwolf

I believe Marc Leguay was a designer not
an engraver.

stampwolf, there should be another name somewhere
on those stamp designs.
That would be the engraver(s).
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
638 Posts
Posted 04/03/2018   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Issued in 1974-Modes of Transportation

Scott#249-250 & C117

Engraver: Guedron

Engraver:Panh

Engraver:Jumelet
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 04/04/2018   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are quite correct lithograving. Marc Leguay is printed on the bottom left and the engraver R. Serres both appear on this beautiful 1951-52 set of Laotian women. The King stamp, on the other hand, does not have the engraver or the designers name on it.
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 04/04/2018   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of my favorite Laos issues. I have been in love with them since I was a young collector. Sometimes you could find the lower values in "Honor-Bilt" packets and others that were the first way I knew to buy stamps. I got more sophisticated as I grew and started shaking the packets around to see what was actually in them. Even at that time I was loath to accumulate duplicates. The Laos collection that this scan comes from was acquired 15 years ago at an estate sale and as I said it is 98% complete to 1973. The designer and engravers name appear on the album page. Cheers! Wolf-==-
Valued Member
161 Posts
Posted 04/04/2018   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mount-this to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps of Laos are really well designed. Here are a few of my favorites:

1954 Golden Jubilee

1956 The 2500 Anniversary of Buddha's Birth

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
638 Posts
Posted 04/04/2018   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampwolf and Mount-this....thanks for posting the images of your Laotian stamps....I have a few of those elephant stamps...real beauties.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 04/04/2018   11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are the Elephant issues Giori printed?
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 04/05/2018   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a side note: Here is a picture of from the first album I bought. The Harris Ambassador printed in 1960. I'm pretty sure I got those Laotian elephants from a "Honor-Built" packet also marketed by H.E. Harris to fill in spaces in their albums. Making kids happy, I was. Cheers Wolf-==-
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
656 Posts
Posted 04/05/2018   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermae,

"Are the Elephant issues Giori printed?"

All multicoloured stamps showed here above are Giori - i.e. only 1 cylinder/plate oper stamp!

groetjes, Rein
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4409 Posts
Posted 04/05/2018   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All multicoloured stamps showed here above are Giori

Rein wouldnt you say Giori type or process is more correct?
Since the French Government Printer used the Chambon TD3 printing press and after 1960 also a Chambon TD6.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1401 Posts
Posted 04/05/2018   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't remember anything like that back in 1967.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 04/05/2018   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack, if you are talking about the Honor-Bilt packets, I bought them in the early 60's. I had given up stamps by the mid 60's and they may well have disappeared from the shelves by then. I have seen the old packets in various auction lots since then but they don't bring much because they generally had min CV in them. I probably didn't get back into stamps until well through my undergraduate work. Cheers! Wolf-==-
Edited by stampwolf - 04/05/2018 4:27 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05