Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About These Christmas Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 4,304Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sell them to a collector will solve the problem unless a bunch is 100 sheets or more. Someone will pay face plus postage for them. Having said that a great learning discussion for me.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
4 Posts
Posted 04/25/2018   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add abbystamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, folks, they ARE NOT valid for first-class postage without a permit. I mail with old postage all the time. Ended up with a few of these stamps and presorted first class, as well, mixed in, which I used until I discovered from USPS they are not valid.

Spent time with USPS to get explanation. Can't use precancel first class without permit. Doesn't matter that you could when issued - you can't now.

Valued Member
124 Posts
Posted 04/25/2018   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That cover isn't conclusive evidence because it includes the Lion Presorted Standard stamp for which you definitely need a permit. I would guess that you might get different explanations from different postal workers about the Christmas stamp. They don't all know the rules well, and most probably weren't around when that stamp was issued.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 04/28/2018   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree w/philatomic. The use of a pre-sort stamp requires a permit in all cases, regardless of rate class. As opinioned in earlier posts, later pre-cancels did require a permit but those were for bulk rate which all bulk rates required permits or pre-sort rates. I do not believe that any 1st class pre-cancels issued to the general public, over the counter (mostly Christmas Holiday issues) require now a permit. If there is a further designation such as pre-sort or bulk-rate then a permit is required. I think the postal clerk was in error when circling the 'Peace Dove' issue as non-valid.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7722 Posts
Posted 04/28/2018   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eligies is correct. I have a permit and use it all the time. The Christmas precancels are still valid on ordinairy fist class mail.
Problem is to try to tell a postal employee this.
Another stumble block is if your post office does everything by the book and sends it on it's way only to wind up in some back country post office where they have never heard of a collector permit. I have several covers that my wife and I mailed to Talladeega AL and came back with the notation that incorrect postage was used!

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 04/28/2018 1:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
Posted 04/28/2018   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I could have sworn there was an expiration date on those Christmas precancels. Something like the end of January (1969)?

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7722 Posts
Posted 04/28/2018   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jack, it would not be 1969 - I think the stamps were from 1974?

Peter
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 4,304Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05