Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Auction Description

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,251Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
657 Posts
Posted 04/09/2018   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add alub to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just received my box from an auction. The description was:

Quote:
(#206/4075) USA USED STAMP STOCK 1881-2006, about 27,000 stamps with 1-20 of each stamp (a few with more), includes 17,000 stamps mtd on 83 packed stock sheets, 9000 stamps sorted in glassines, one box of loose stamps, a nice collection of 672 numeral cancels 1890-1930's mtd on album pages, a full MNH sheet of Washington-Oregon "Melon & Tomato" tax stamps (quite scarce), and a 1991 "Wildflowers" USPS presentation book containing an imperf proof sheet and a full sheet of the final perfed stamps, the usual mixed condition in the early issues, lots of 1922 Presidential series + 1937 Prexies + 1951 Liberty + a strong showing of Transportation coils, minimum Scott cat $8000 with a wholesale stock value of $500, F-VF est ($100 US)
Bold added.

I was told by the auctioneer after the auction that the "imperf proof sheet" was the table of contents of the Wildflowers USPS presentation book, with page numbers instead of denominations.

I feel like this was a fraudulent description. Am I overreacting?

thanks

Joe

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3762 Posts
Posted 04/09/2018   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would think that you have a good case, especially if your bidding was contingent on that one particular item. If you feel the remainder is not satisfying, I would petition for a refund.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
657 Posts
Posted 04/09/2018   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "imperf proof sheet" was the item that caught my eye.
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What do the terms of sale say about large lots. This will guide and dispute the parties to the issue have.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5970 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   07:35 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's often a caveat around refurns of mixed lots, although in this case the problem element was specifically described by the auctioneer. Also the possibility of negotiating a revised price with the auctioneer, if you were interested in the lot beyond this specific item.
Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one definitely amused me...

As a fellow collector, I sympathize - almost...

If it was a small lot, that would be a different story. With a lot of 27,000 stamps?? Complaints about one item will likely not be well received. You're certainly welcome to try - my guess is that returns are explained in their terms & conditions, as already stated.

Had you ever heard of an 'imperf proof sheet' of this issue? I certainly haven't.

We've all 'taken a flyer' on auction lots with poor pictures & bad descriptions - hoping to 'snag' that rare/valuable item. My guess is that is what you were hoping for here?! (And we don't want to ask in advance - and alert the auctioneer to potential excess value?!!)

You didn't get it this time. From the description, it sounds like you got value for your money in any case. Overreacting? Perhaps. You can try to get a refund/adjustment; if they accommodate you, then it's a truly honorable auction house.

Clearly a bad sentence in the description. But the auction houses get to win occasionally too!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
657 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do the terms of sale say about large lots. This will guide and dispute the parties to the issue have.

I think there is a point where the lot has to match the description. If I were complaining because the lot only contained 25,000 stamps, I would be overly fussy. But what if I got a box with 2500 stamps?

In this case, the description was quite specific,

Quote:
a 1991 "Wildflowers" USPS presentation book containing an imperf proof sheet

There was no indication that the "proof sheet" was, in fact not only an "illustration in the book", but the table of contents with page numbers in place of denominations.

I find it hard to believe that an auction house that regularly sells stamps, and is a member of the ASDA, could not tell the difference.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6532 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No matter the size of the lot, the very specific wording by the auction firm goes beyond "bad description". It looks like deliberate fraud to me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7621 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Deliberate fraud" might be too strong; it's possible that the auction house simply didn't know and made a mistake. This happens a lot more often then most people realize. I would talk to them politely to see if an adjustment can be made, but the success or failure will depend on the particular auction house involved and also on how often you bid with them. Some are much better then others in this area.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2759 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   9:37 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If they didn't know, they have no business being in the stamp trade.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7621 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NO auction house knows everything. EVERY auction house makes the occasional mistake. Even Siegel. Some make more then others.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,251Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05