Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Babe Ruth Baseball Post Card With Signature Including A Scott 557

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
Posted 04/09/2018   6:23 pm  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Smalls, Babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player that ever lived."

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3735 Posts
Posted 04/09/2018   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 04/09/2018   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lioness2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mdroth.... to be honest, you might think that my stamps may not be worth anything what I display, that could be true sometimes ,however, I continue to learn about different ones. Since you and others may not be aware,I have had several high value world stamps evaluated and sold before at Dutch Auctions in Delaware. I guess they were good enough for this well known auction house to advertise for Auction sale a few years ago. It is always good to get things checked too.
Learn More...
7417 Posts
Posted 04/09/2018   8:11 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, I thought I recognized you. You are "blazenstar", a member where we had to previously locked your account. You do realize that the forum has a rule...

Quote:
Reason or duration notwithstanding, registering under a different ID to circumvent the suspension may result in permanent banning from the site.

Not wise.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1927 Posts
Posted 04/09/2018   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Ball point pen" -- From the scan, it appears to be a fountain pen signature. If it appears slightly grainy under magnification, then it was done with a laser printer. That said, the "autograph" looks to be a fairly good fake anyway.

The cancellation is in my view faked. The dial and bars should be from the same machine, therefore the inking heaviness/lightness should be the same. The shortness of bars: there is no machine like that and makes no sense as the bars are intended to cancel stamps placed in a range of corner locations, not just in one spot. The date in the center of the dial is in the wrong/impossible typeface and also doesn't include the time portion. I would suspect both parts of the cancel were done by laser printing.

"Glad I didn't spend a lot of money on it." Is this an excuse made from embarrassment or an admission that someone is seriously lowballing a seller for something known to be worth many thousands for the autograph alone if genuine? A collector of Babe Ruth memorabilia should know this, I would think. It can be argued what constitutes lowballing, but extreme cases are illegal in many places. In California, for sure, unless you hold a pawn license.

Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 04/09/2018   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StamperMA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ball point pens weren't available until 1945...

Not that it makes a bit of difference to the main point of this discussion, but the first patent for a ballpoint pen was granted in the 19th Century. Ballpoints were available early in the 20th Century but they didn't work very well. They became highly reliable and took off in popularity after WWII.

The Wikipedia article on ballpoint pens has a lot of info.

Dennis
Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you might think that my stamps may not be worth anything

Well, not the ones you've been posting recently...

Quote:
I continue to learn about different ones

That's good!

Quote:
I have had several high value world stamps evaluated and sold before at Dutch Auctions in Delaware

Would love to see those...

Quote:
It is always good to get things checked too

No kidding...

Quote:
a member where we had to previously locked your account

How shocking...

Quote:
Not wise

Equally shocking...

Learn More...
7417 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   2:07 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This person previously posted that she was a CEO of a stamp company and was a member of a royal family. She is no longer with us, the rules are there for a reason.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3735 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was it HRH Gladys Pips, CEO of Philip Ryle International?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05