Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newbie Needs Stamp Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add garretttpe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All
my wife and I just found in a old box a documentary 5 dollar United States Internal Revenue stamp, in small black letter it says "series 1950" it is in very good shape but was used at one point it looks like.

it looks like some one hand wrote 11/7/1950 and above that 3 letters that I cant make out.

I dont know if this is worth 2 cents or nothing. any general advice would be great. I have tried googling it and nothing really comes up.

thanks all
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7579 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   2:58 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome,
Sounds like a Scott #R552. Value for a used stamp like your is <$1.00.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 04/10/2018   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pen marking is a cancellation. There are also handstamp cancels on these as well.

Further, there are cut (slice) and punch (punched hole) cancels which can exist separately or in combination with the others. Those would reduce the value of this stamp to the minimum.
Edited by hy-brasil - 04/10/2018 3:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
Posted 04/12/2018   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming you are in the United States and have a public library nearby, you might go look to see if they have a Scott Catalog. Look up your stamps in the catalog and you can see if there is any value.
Assuming there is some value, you should know that stamps sell for 25% to maybe 50% of the catalog value, so don't get all excited if they appear to be valuable.
If you plan to sell them, the easiest way is to list them on eBay or find a stamp dealer. You will need to scan them front and back (or photograph) if you list on eBay.

Good luck.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05