Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Losts several lots with nystamps  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1880 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had bid on several lots with nystamps. I was bidding against two id's that only seem to buy from nystamps. I made one bid. Always seem to lose with a last second bid. These are all small lots (all identified) so CV value is clear.
Send note to Staff
Al

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1351 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is anybody thinking shill?

Jack
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   09:27 am  Show Profile Check joe1225us's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add joe1225us to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is anybody thinking shill?

Jack

If he is never getting the lot, what is the point of the shill bidding? Unless it is to keep lot from going under a certain minimum. Sort of a reserve.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
926 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never had the impression that nystamps used shill bidding. If they do it is on such a low level that it seems hardly worth it. I've won many lots from them for under $7.
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   11:00 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NY stamps has a large following, deserved or not. It normally takes a pretty aggressive bid to win one of their large lots. It's usually a futile treasure hunt. These groups have already been picked over for anything of value. The several that I have won have always been a disappointment.
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been outbid on their auctions many times, but occasionally I do win. I won one last month and paid about $10.50, shipping included, which was less than a third of catalog.
Valued Member
343 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From what you describe, it doesn't seem like evidence of "shill" bidding. For one thing, who uses shill bidding on small value lots? What is there to gain? You describe losing out to last second bidders. That happens to me and everyone else. That the other two bidders appear to bid only (mainly?) on lots from NY Stamps proves nothing. I bid on lots from a small number of dealers on eBay most of the time, too. .I imagine some others may do that, as well. It's human nature to buy from dealers you trust.

There's a little too much anxiety here at times aimed at dealers who are alleged to rely on nefarious practices. It's true that a very small number operate by questionable practices. But most do not. And NY Stamps, in my experience is not a bad one. Most dealers on eBay and elsewhere are legitimate. All I can offer is my experience. I've been buying from eBay for 10-15 years, including from NY Stamps, and never had a single stamp-related problem. Your experience may be different, of course. You bid, and you lost. It happens to me about 90% of the time! I'm cheap is why. There's nothing nefarious about it.
Edited by DrewM - 04/15/2018 10:38 pm
Learn More...
5361 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   10:11 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that NY Stamps probably does not use shill bidding, but the shear volume of mis-described and stamps with conditions issues is overwhelming. And to top it off, their own terms and conditions clearly states "stamps could be expertly restored, regum, or repaired". I have recorded over 100 NY Stamps listings where the 'repairs' were absolute abortions and were never called out in the listing beyond their general blanket statement. In my opinion, this is damaging to the hobby. It also leads to conspiracy thinking, if a seller is willing to stoop to highly questionable listings, then folks assume other bad things.

If folks the who read this forum learn nothing else I hope they learn how to determine quality stamp sellers.
Don
Valued Member
176 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think they have modified their MO, due in part to chatboard talk (the board "down under" too). I still think they shill to simulate bidder interest early in the auction, but don't bid near the end. It is hard to tell the real bids from shills when auctions start at a penny.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
63 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find lengthy discussion about this or that eBay seller's honesty frustrating and depressing. Let me say upfront I've been buying on eBay for more than fifteen years and in that time I've found very few sellers who were anything other than helpful and pleasant and who gave great service. Of course there are rip off merchants - there are in every walk of life but please lets not go round looking for them

I regularly buy from a seller who has actually been absolutely slated on a very long and tedious thread on "the board down under" and have always found their lots to be exactly as described and to go for what I expect them to go for. Pages and pages of my collection have been filled with stuff I was very pleased to buy from them, because I go to stamp fairs and look at what other people on eBay are offering and the same material is going for far more money

Of course there are chancers, my particular dislike are the guys who charge a fortune for postage and when the packet arrives it's sent for a fraction of that with stamps that have obviously either been used before or are unwanted mint stock. And there are the odd people out there who make a pile of garbage look like a really good deal.

But there are also 99% of people I've dealt with who want you to be happy and after your repeat business and I regularly buy from them when I find them. Without going to the trouble of giving you backs and fronts and several pictures of the same cheap stamps quite a lot of sellers give good clear pictures of everything you're going to get. I bid cheap, and I use an app so my bid is put on at the last minute. I win about half my "cheeky bids" and some of what arrives is very pleasing.

The other day I got a couple of lovely albums of French stamps for a song - not loads of stamps, and those that were there are mainly mid-period and pretty common but somebody had lovingly made pages by hand and they look so great I'm going to keep them and try to fill in the spaces. To buy one of the albums new would have cost more than I paid for these two albums and a whole load of off paper kiloware from the same seller.

The images weren't great - half a dozen or so for two albums - but I put in a cheeky bid and got lucky. Isn't that part of the reason we use eBay, because sometimes you get lucky? And sometimes you get outbid and that's all part of it too and there's no great conspiracy most of the time.

Sorry, I've gone on a bit. Rant over!
Valued Member
Turkey
437 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of their auctions that ended yesterday:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/nystamps-T...p=true&rt=nc

Its an Eastern Rumelia #15, CV $0.40.

NYStamps knows their description is dead wrong - they've been told & yet have continued to sell E. Rumelia #15s as Turkey #66s. For years...

Of course the buyer - with 4900 positive feedback, and a string of purchases of Turkey & Greece - should also know better!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1734 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   01:36 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Drew's first paragraph
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
395 Posts
Posted 04/30/2018   9:14 pm  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes!
All auction start at a penny and how do they make a buck? Their pictures of placed stamps at angles and shapes are hard to follow-I have bid and won several auctions--interesting.
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 05/08/2018   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have bid on a number of lots posted to eBay by NYStamps and have had pretty good success in terms of the material and how they handled any problems. I always buy individual stamps or small groups, never collections. I have lost a lot of my bids, but generally my goal is to find the lots that are being ignored by other bidders and get them at a good price, so I am not bidding aggressively.

I buy British Colony stamps for either my collection or for resale. Most dealers in the U.S. know very little about these stamps so I don't expect them to be experts just to show the stamp and allow me to inspect the back so I can see the hinging, marks and other factors for myself. I do expect them to be able to provide the Scott Catalog number and based on that I can determine the watermark and perforation of the issue.

So at least for individual British Colony issues, I feel that they do a reasonable job of displaying the stamp, and determining the Scott catalog number. I have won a number of below market bids from them, so I don't think they are using shills at least for the stamps in this area.

Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
Posted 05/08/2018   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I advise other collectors I know to avoid NYStamps (and a small subset of other eBay stamp sellers). I had a disagreement with them a few years ago regarding an item I bought, and am now no longer allowed to bid on their items. I consider that a very good thing. YMMV.
Learn More...
5361 Posts
Posted 05/11/2018   6:04 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hurry! This fantastic stamp is going under market value. https://www.ebay.com/itm/382454093173?rmvSB=true

Who would not be proud to drop $700+ on a wonderful example like this?
Don

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05