Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice accidental philatelic windfall  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   10:50 am  Show Profile Check ecmorgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add ecmorgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I teach judo (and high school) and one my judo students' mother used to teach at my school.

She notified me a friend had a stamp collection she was trying to get rid of in advance of a move after selling their home. As a courtesy, I said I'd be glad to talk to her.

Long story short, she didn't want to move the collection and they are decluttering. She put the collecting in a box and left it out for me no charge. Ran by Friday and picked it up.

2 worldwide albums with a number of hinged stamps. A pack of usable Dennison Hinges. Quite a few stamps on and off paper, but organized by country. A few covers. A few other little items. Very clearly an older collection that hasn't been worked on in years.

Nothing of value, BUT I told my judo student's mother that the big thing is somebody cared for, and took care of, this collection. I'm looking forward to digging into it and seeing what's there and how I might integrate into my collection.

I'm thinking the albums might go to my girls...

Send note to Staff
Member American Philatelic Society, American Topical Association, Haiti Philatelic Society, Scouts on Stamps Society International, Nashville Philatelic Society.

Learn More...
4718 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   11:00 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those hinges are a score!
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Seigaku to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, ec--I have to say how nice it is to turn on the computer and find a story like this.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4606 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beat me to it about the hinges. :-)
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wear philately on my sleeve and as such, I have had several collections just given to me like this. The previous owner wants it to go someone who will be able to do something with it. Usually the stamps go the APS for their give away programs, a few have been added to my formal collection. Always fun to go through the collection and see the mindset of the collector. Breaking it down and putting it to use is just good philatelic karma. Giving something back to the hobby that has given me so much.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice!
I hope you enjoy the stamps.
Thanks for posting this.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I was a kid, I never would have imagined a day when the reaction to getting a stamp collection like this would be "WOW! THOSE HINGES!!!"
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1271 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
erilaz,

Yes. General agreement there on contents of the collection. As to the hinges, well, I use Dennison's exclusively. But they are not $.29 anymore.

Jack
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just find it hilarious that seasoned collectors in this day and age are drooling over something that used to be commonplace supplies that even poor kids could afford.

My own biggest "philatelic windfall" was in the form of supplies. My uncle had an excellent collection of U.S., Great Britain, and Canada/British North America, worth many thousands of dollars, which my cousins started selling off even before he died, in order to help cover the costs of caring for their parents. When I found out about this, I e-mailed them about my uncle's collecting supplies, especially mounts, thinking that they probably wouldn't be able to sell them. I didn't get a response, so I assumed that they were already gone. Several years later, one of my cousins asked if I had any use for the two desk drawers full of black-back Showgards in a wide range of sizes, which were still where they'd always been. Of course I had a use for them! And if he had asked me even a few months earlier, I could have saved a bundle, since I had recently made a push to buy mounts for several odd-sized things that had been lying around unmounted for years.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2313 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   8:30 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. The Scott's Modern album was my first world-wide album as a kid.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  A revenue stamp on eBay with fake roulettes, and the response to the notification
  Canada 1888-97 8c S.C. #44 - Interesting fold / perforation
  NEW REPUBLIC stamps , my collection
  Collar Cancel--Mid-1880s
  Finding Information on Stamp Smarter
  Austria 1950 10s Gray - S.C. 556 - Flat white gum?
  Hand-drawn and painted Victorian covers
  Gotta be a reperf right?
  This is going to be a hard cancel to identify.
  London District Postal Cancellations
  Any Available Studies on Double Transfers of the 1893 2 Columbus Issue ?
  #1702 with double impression of black - known variety?
  Help on ID of this issue...
  Could it be a Scott #613 ???
  Ceylon 20c KGV: Deciphering Scott Values for used stamps in italics
  Canada LQ and SQ Perforated 11 1/2 x 12
  In search of a Blackjack, but market unbelievably great!
  Newfoundland- New (hopefully) a NEW constant plate variety.
  UV key ring light - any good ??
  An interesting(?) Mary Jane on eBay
  Austria - Need help identifying pre-1900's Newspaper Stamps
  Austria (Lombardy-Venetia) 1858-62 5s and 15s - Help Identifying Stamp Types
  Looking for a Spectrophotometer
  Compound perf #367 mystery stamp.
  Turkistan Stamps? Cinderella

Canada 1888-97 8c S.C. #44 - Interesting fold / perforation
  Another Stamp Society Bites the Dust
  🇺🇸 American Heirloom Hingeless Album: Good eBay Find?
  A revenue stamp on eBay with fake roulettes, and the response to the notification
  NEW REPUBLIC stamps , my collection
  Collar Cancel--Mid-1880s
  Austria 1950 10s Gray - S.C. 556 - Flat white gum?
  Canada LQ and SQ Perforated 11 1/2 x 12
  UV key ring light - any good ??
  Hand-drawn and painted Victorian covers
  Help needed on a Washington Franklin LP
  Vintage Streetscapes
  Where is the grill on this stamp?
  In search of a Blackjack, but market unbelievably great!
  This is going to be a hard cancel to identify.
  Help on ID of this issue...
  Finding Information on Stamp Smarter
  Ceylon 20c KGV: Deciphering Scott Values for used stamps in italics
  What is Deep Etch Offset ?
  cold steel weapons of the world
  Salability of my Yugoslavia collection stamps
  Thematic : Umbrellas on Stamps.
  Requesting Help from 1c platers Plate 12 Relief A, Poss 2L, 8R, 9R?
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  With Wingate only a week away, the health of the rare stamp market will be tested

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05