Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question about Cancel Date on Scott 1094  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5749 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys
Why does this Scott 1094 have a cancel E.P.O. October.16.1944..?

I know a stupid question..right..?

Robert

*** Edited by Staff to clarify topic title. Titles are important! ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   9:07 pm  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No such thing as a stupid question, only inadequate answers.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5787 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   9:09 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That deserves a stupid answer, right? It is 1844!
Just kidding Robert. Could it be that the clerk just put the wrong slug in?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess that the person setting those year numbers either misplaced his glasses, or he had a rough night.

I have seen them with the months or day numbers put in upside down.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 04/15/2018 9:14 pm
Valued Member
Canada
340 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add petermac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wert - are you wondering why the designer included that particular date in the stamp design? Or, are you wondering, as one of my friends did a while back, how so many of these stamps got the same, old postmark when they went through the postal system? He did not know that it was part of the stamp design!

The "EPO" you think you see is actually FPO - Field Post Office. It's how mail from soldiers on active service were most often postmarked. And since that's what the stamp commemorates, it makes sense.

Edited by petermac - 04/15/2018 9:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5787 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   9:19 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, amazing. My answer was stupid!
Another question. Does this cancel mean this is a precanceled stamp?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5749 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure Peter..

Sorry petermac..You are correct.

But did the post office put a war time date, or was this a mistake..?

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5787 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   10:31 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, I am serious now. The PO did put a wartime date on it on purpose - to commemmorate the wartime postal service. I must agree that the cancel is a tad confusing!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
592 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One might wonder why the stamp's design included a post mark dated '16 October 1944'.... 16 October does not seem to have any special significance related to Canadian Army during WWII, nor is the 16th of October an event commemoration day or the first day of issue for the stamp.

Canadian Postal Corps (CPC) was created on 3 May 1911 to handle the distribution of mail to and from members of the Canadian armed forces posted abroad. The stamp was issued on 9 May 1986 as part of the Canadian Forces series... 'Canadian Forces Postal Service, 1911-1986'
Edited by oldguy - 04/16/2018 12:08 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The design is very confusing. I could understand a postal employee rejecting this stamp as "re-used" because the printed cancel goes beyond the frame of the artwork and to the edge of the perforations.

For confusion, Canada Post has maybe even outdone the U.S. postal Service with this one.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
543 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   07:58 am  Show Profile Check watermark's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The design included a cancelation so this is not a precancel. A precancel by definition is a cancelation applied to a stamp after it was printed but prior to usage. Since this is part of the stamp's design it is actually a design feature and printed as part of the actual stamp. There for technically it is an image of a cancelation used as a graphic in the stamp design. Note the year 44 (1944) clearly shows and then check the issue date of the stamp. The issue date for the stamp was May 9, 1986 with a value of 34c. The design cancelation is well before issue date and the value of the stamp does not match stamps in use in 1944. I don't recall anyone having a problem using these stamps for postage. If you have more than one copy you will also see the same identical cancel on the stamp which would be extremely unusual. A little common sense can go a long way.
Edited by watermark - 04/16/2018 08:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5749 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you have more than one copy you will also see the same identical cancel on the stamp which would be extremely unusual

Stamp taken from a web site seller...Compare to my stamp below it and they are identical Mike..Are you saying it is extremely unusual to have the identical cancel..?

Or am I missing something here..

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1413 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok guys,
this is my stamp, Mint-NH and I did not say VF because off the centering. What is clear, after searching the Canadian Postal Archives, Unitrade etc....is that this pseudo-cancel" is part of the stamp design
Unitrade mentions 1094, issued 1911-1986 to commemorate 75 years of Canadian military postal services

From the database:
Perforation: 13.5

Creator(s):

Designed by Jacques DesRosiers

Historical Notice:
Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery believed that his soldiers would do anything he asked as long as they got "mail from home, the newspapers, and... plenty fo (error "of") tea". For seventy-five years the Canadian Forces Postal Service has provided "mail from home" for the Canadian Forces. During both World Wars, the CFPS accomplished this by mobilizing many Post Office employees. Today, it forwards mail to restricted military zones in Canada and Europe, as well as other areas where Canadians serve in United Nations peacekeeping operations. The stamp was designed by Montreal graphic designer Jacques DesRosiers. The stamp image is based on a wartime photograph of military personnel handling letters and parcel.

René
Edited by Renden - 04/16/2018 11:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5749 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nobody addresses the date chosen for the design of the stamp, Oc 16, 1944 ?....I will keep searching

Thanks Rene.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1413 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Robert !

Life Magazine published an article on "war" October 16, 1944 but I could not access it.
I feel that the date chosen, Oc 16, 44, has to do with the picture chosen by Jacques DesRosiers for his design.

René
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1187 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   11:34 am  Show Profile Check Gilles le timbre's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some significant event on that date: http://ww2today.com/16-october-1944...machine-guns
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05