Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hitler in a mousetrap on cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
14 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stampstumped to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone ever seen this type of envelope? If anyone could give me any information on it that would be great. Could it have been stamped on the envelope by sender? Is this a preprinted envelope by sender?

Thanks for any information on it. I am unfamiliar with philately so it may be obvious but not to me!

Thanks for any information that can be provided.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1870 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks as if Charles R. Dale had these patriotic business envelopes printed up during WWII.

Is there an enclosure that shows what he was selling? That would make the cover a little more interesting.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
899 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anti-Hitler envelopes were pretty common during the war as public sentiment had been fomented by the US government. Typically these were pre-printed envelopes made by individuals and also by companies that sold them. It is also possible that such printed cachets were added to a cover sometime later, but I think that would not have been typical. There would be no way to tell for sure unless a postal marking was made on top of or was under such a printed cachet.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting!
I never saw that before.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   03:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampstumped to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information!!
There was nothing in the envelope and no notes regarding the business. I believe the envelope was purchased or given to the original collector. The inheritor of the collection and I are trying organize and preserve since much was kept in cardboard boxes and manila envelopes with a wide variety of US covers, stamps and postcards used and unused. It is a case of 2 incompetents trying to learn fast. I learned that one cover is a Mt Vernon U525 die 1 addressed but not cancelled! Pretty cool but very time intensive to learn. Bulk is US from the 70's to 2000, I think.

Thank goodness for the internet and kind, learned souls willing to share knowledge!
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rugface to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This cachet (design on envelope) is listed in "United States Patriotic Envelopes of world War II" by Lawrence Sherman. It is cachet number 10842 (p. 391) with a value of "A" ($3-$6). The designer is listed as "Unknown". However, Charles R. Dale is listed (p. 402) as a publisher (P152) of patriotic envelopes.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampstumped to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your very valued information will go directly to directly to the outside of the sleeve for this cover. Super cool that C.R. Dale was in the "patriotic envelopes" business and cover was from him.

Many thanks!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05