Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Anthony's Marketing Strategy  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Reedededge to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like to say our friends from NJ have stopped selling altered and misattributed stamps, and I would like even more to announce their expulsion from the ASDA, but sadly, neither is true. I have however noticed a new marketing twist to help them sell their junk to unsuspecting collectors; they now site flaws with almost all of their improperly attributed stamps, thereby detracting your attention away from the real problem (which is, the stamp is not what it's represented to be). By stating that the stamp has an adherence, thin, gum disturbance etc, etc the unsuspecting and uninformed buyer thinks, " full disclosure, so these guys must be legit", and of course not realizing that there's nothing farther from the truth. Here's an example of what I'm referring to: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stamps-...AOSwTvFazV84 There obviously are no bounds to the dishonesty and larceny committed by this firm, and given that neither eBay or ASDA seem to care, I will keep using this forum to sound the horn. If each of these posts dissuades just one collector from doing business with Anthony's, then that's progress.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Reedededge - 04/16/2018 11:19 pm

Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
Posted 04/16/2018   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple more examples to better clarify my above point:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stamps-...AOSwkhNazV9D br /

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stamps-...AOSwvRpazV7Y br /
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2260 Posts
Posted 04/17/2018   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the ASDA was scheduled to have a 'sit down' with Anthony's... does anybody know if it happened or any outcomes?
Pillar Of The Community
1601 Posts
Posted 04/17/2018   05:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Same old same old.

http://goscf.com/t/61592
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1353 Posts
Posted 04/17/2018   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lipstick on a Pig. E Caveat Emptor.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
161 Posts
Posted 04/17/2018   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mount-this to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthony should really consider partnering with Philip Ryle.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
Posted 04/17/2018   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for continuing to alert collectors to the problems with this seller.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 04/17/2018   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing these. I particularly enjoyed the last one, Scott #115. This is the rare "stink eye Washington" variety, caused by the cleaned cancel.
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 04/17/2018   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For what it is worth, I have bought some British Colony stamps from them that were okay. (I am on the APS Expert Committee for British Colony issues, so I do know what to look for.)

They were not expensive stamps. My impression is that they don't know too much about British Colonies, so they are just selling it as a basic stamp.

However, like all thing regarding on-line auction sites - the buyer does need to beware. I appreciate the warnings you guys have posted.
Edited by KGVIStamps - 04/17/2018 11:10 am
Learn More...
5369 Posts
Posted 04/17/2018   11:06 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that some sellers are not just another 'buyer beware' situation. A typical online seller ranks as 'buyer beware' since you are making buying decisions based upon an image. This covers the occasional mis-identification or hidden fault and can occur with anyone who sells stamps.

But sellers who have a definite trend or pattern of fraudulent practices are another story. Sorry, but repeatedly selling 50-100 trimmed #315s is more than just 'buyer beware', it is 'buyer run the other direction'.

Can a handful of highly experienced people make a successful transaction with these kinds of sellers? Yes. Do people who have made a lot of purchases from these kinds of sellers want to believe they have built good collections? Yes. Does every sale they make perpetuate the damage they do to the hobby? Yes.

But the fact is that very few hobbyists should be purchasing from any sellers who clearly demonstrates repeated ethical violations.

There are plenty of great sellers out there, but most ask fair prices for their material. It is a shame that many people avoid them and instead think they are getting 'better deals' by buying from the bottom of the barrel sellers. This is an education problem, we need to educate folks to stop thinking they are getting some kind of deal from these sellers. They are generally selling a bunch of crap. If a hobbyist wants to build a collection based on garage material, they certain can but they should not expect to ever see a decent return from what they have built.
Don
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
Posted 04/17/2018   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If a hobbyist wants to build a collection based on garage material, they certain can but they should not expect to ever see a decent return from what they have built.

Very eloquently and accurately put!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05