Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Many Collect Marshall Islands Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
369 Posts
Posted 04/19/2018   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add modernstamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From time to time on eBay I see Marshall Islands stamps.
Are there a lot of collectors for Marshall Islands stamps?
I'm just wondering.
Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1102 Posts
Posted 04/19/2018   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've collected some of the definitive sets, especially fish and sea life, but only if I can get them very cheaply. They apparently are worth significantly less than face in the open market.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 04/19/2018   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mooselaab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm collecting their WW2 series.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
633 Posts
Posted 04/19/2018   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's been a while since I've done anything with my German stamps, so I had to pull out my album to see whether I had any from the Marshalls when they were a German colony (1885-1919). Nope, though I do have a few from the Carolines, the Marianas, and Samoa.
Valued Member
Ireland
147 Posts
Posted 04/20/2018   05:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Other than having a few stamps in the context of having a stamp from every country, I don't take them seriously as a country in terms of decision-making. I don't think they are even full members of the Universal Postal Union.
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
Posted 04/20/2018   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for answering my post.
I know a lot of the Marshall Islands stamps are very nice stamps.
It would seem that most of the designs are focused on US collectors.
That is the impression that I get from many of their designs.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 04/20/2018   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It reminds me of an totally uncontrolled USPS issuing program. What some new exec would think would solve USPS's problems.
Al
Edited by angore - 04/20/2018 11:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3982 Posts
Posted 04/20/2018   12:37 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose they're of a similar ilk to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man issues - all areas that had got along perfectly well with GB stamps or, later, GB regionals until someone spotted a sales and marketing opportunity.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26323 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Milestones in Space Exploration : 1989

Pillar Of The Community
Turkey
615 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly don't collect MI, but wanted this sheet - supposedly they were given the original plates to use in order to create this sheet. It was issued for the World Expo in 2006:

Last year, I did some work where I had to learn alot about the MI. Fascinating/troubled place. Past & present. Hard to believe places like this still exist in the world - but they do.

A not-insignificant portion of their govt's revenue does come from stamp sales!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
570 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect their aircraft on stamps. They have put out some attractive designs, mostly just for collectors like me. I've not seen many used stamps from the Marshalls. Putting together a postally used set of any of their stamps would be a challenge.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
662 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see they issued these as well. Nice idea. I like re-issues of old stamp designs.

Pillar Of The Community
Turkey
615 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Correct - I have the Prexy sheet as well - one of my favorites!

However, they left out Martha! (And added an extra White House?)

Which is weird - once you understand the land ownership laws in the MI - women have significantly more rights than men - all land ownership runs through women.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1102 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Prexie sheet is pretty handsome but correct high vals missing :-(
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05