Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Goodwill Find. German Stamp. Glenn Cunningham Postcard.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 04/20/2018   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add texas_teri to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This postcard was included in the stamp stock file I purchased at a local Goodwill. It is a postcard from Glenn Cunningham (Olympic Athlete; Silver Medalist) to a local family in his hometown. It includes a personal note in reference to attending the 1936 Olympics along with his signature. Can anyone please give me information on the value of the postcard and stamp? Thank you.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6628 Posts
Posted 04/20/2018   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The value of the stamp is not much, but the card is most likely worth keeping. This type of thing is very specialized so I ould suggest you check places like eBay and Delcampe for similar items.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
798 Posts
Posted 04/21/2018   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The prices for autographed Glenn Cunningham memorabilia on HistoryForSale.com suggest that you made an excellent score at the Goodwill store!

http://www.historyforsale.com/signe...ingham/61460

Whatever you do, keep the whole piece intact. Don't remove the stamp!
Edited by erilaz - 04/21/2018 7:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
523 Posts
Posted 04/21/2018   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice Find!
Thanks for sharing.
Learn More...
7584 Posts
Posted 04/21/2018   8:29 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Then again, don't give up your day job!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glenn-Cunn...273147300019

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
798 Posts
Posted 04/21/2018   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be willing to pay considerably more for a postcard with historical relevance, written and signed by a celebrity, than a random strip of paper with nothing but that same celebrity's signature on it. I expect that's true of most autograph collectors.
Learn More...
7584 Posts
Posted 04/22/2018   03:11 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi erilaz,
The site you linked is asking crazy prices. For example, a clipped signature like the one I linked is over $200. (That's ten times more than the equivalent eBay listing, which did not even sell at $20). As you know, asking prices mean little. Folks can ask whatever irrationally high price they desire.

We have not even seen the entire postcard in question yet. The value of this postcard is unknown until we can see the entire thing and then find comparable 'sold' prices.

I agree that the card sounds interesting and is probably worth more than a typical postcard if legitimate. If it contains unique historical comments, perhaps even worth a significant amount. (It could be noting that he is bringing plenty of laundry home from the games for all we know.) So in my opinion until we see the entire card and can do discovery on realized prices for similar items, it is prudent to not set high expectations.
Don
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05