Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

#1098 Whooping Crane Variation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,039Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
14 Posts
Posted 04/21/2018   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stampstumped to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am comparing 2 #1098 stamps to remove the duplicate. One stamp has one of the whooping crane chicks with a blue line on top of head, the other does not. Pictures on the internet show some with and some without the blue line. It is always the right side chick.

Which should be kept or is it just a matter of different issues, if so is there a different designation? Does it matter? Whooping crane chicks do not have dark feathers on top of head so I would think it would be more degree of

Without version:
https://www.mysticstamp.com/Product...s/1098/USA/#

with version:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scott-1098...AOSwCmNZ1FWJ
Send note to Staff
Edited by Stampstumped - 04/22/2018 12:38 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 04/22/2018   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are the same stamp. There are differences in inking because of the type of multicolor printing press used, where colors will overlap and run together. Note also that one set of chicks on one stamp have yellow orange bodies overall and the other has blue-tinged legs. There are other differences.

This is common thing for modern US engraved stamps in more than one color.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6625 Posts
Posted 04/22/2018   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have sent me down memory lane here. One of my earliest philatelic memories is of having a discussion with my father and older brother about the various difference in this issue; green chicks, blue chicks, etc.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 04/22/2018   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampstumped to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the explanation. I did notice the area below the chicks as being inconsistent too but it was not distinct lines. Some of the stamps that I have viewed have different alphabetical notations that indicated different dies or printings and wanted to make sure I did not label incorrectly. I will put this to good use in other stamps. I will relay to owner to decide if he likes his crane with a yamaka or not. I think I am obsessing on preserving the better of duplicated stamps too much. Thank you immensely.

Edited by Stampstumped - 04/22/2018 10:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2717 Posts
Posted 04/23/2018   12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In case the links above disappear or for those without a catalog handy, here is the stamp under discussion:

I took a look at about 50 used copies I had to survey their inking accuracy.

As noted above, blue low to tinge the head and back of the right chick:

Yellow ink high partially coloring the bottom of the arc at the base of the adult's leg:

Green high to make lower portion of the chicks mostly green:

Yellow very low to make much of the grass yellow:

Interesting? Yes.
Collectible? yes.
Catalog noteworthy? No.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 05/04/2018   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampstumped to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John,

This will be a good reference for multicolored stamps to come.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,039Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05