Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Makes A Vintage Postcard Desirable To Collectors

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
2015 Posts
Posted 05/31/2018   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To run further off on this interesting tangent ...
Salsig: An interesting cancel chronology. The use of a manuscript postmark after a handstamp device often indicates a fire or flood or tornado destroying a PO. Emergencies create interesting postal history! Although I do not find anything about a disaster on-line, I would not be surprised if there was a PO destruction at Salsig in May or June of 1912, a new Salsig device was ordered which arrived at about the same time as the name change (which oddly does not seem to appear in the Postal Bulletins), then there was a delay in getting the new Manzanita cancel, which delay in supplying the new device is consistent with several name changes I know of in Indiana. Just a guess, but the use of the manuscript cancel raises is a good mystery to research.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3652 Posts
Posted 05/31/2018   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Q/ Was Salsig large enough for a post office?

For smaller towns, where the 'post office' was a contract with the general store, all you would need would be a store closing (owner dies?), theft, or very small fire for the canceler to be out-of-service for a short time.

That scale of event might be lost to history.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2235 Posts
Posted 05/31/2018   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Q/ Was Salsig large enough for a post office?

No, it was in the store. and along side the railroad. As close as the store is to the tracks, any thing could have happened. From a log breaking loose to sparks setting fire to the store. On another Salsig card the writer mentions days above 100 degrees.

Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LeDandy_54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
History! That's what makes postcards valuable to this collector. Valuable in the sense that I appreciate their importance and often scarcity. As an investment, forget it. Get into art, that's the best vehicle (if you know what you're doing).

This is one of my favorites. A picture postcard sent from a National Guard soldier on the border with Mexico during the Pancho Villa Expedition of 1916. Columbus, NM was the site of Villa's raid a few months before.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05