Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Study About Sales On Coins(Stamps?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 856Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

France, Metropolitan
3060 Posts
Posted 04/28/2018   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add perf12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I browse in the coin forum & I found some interesting charts.I wonder
why there isn't anything comparable for stamps?
http://dzautner.com/on-ebays-imperi...and-history/
https://public.dzautner.com/charts/...ly_sold.html
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4350 Posts
Posted 04/28/2018   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to know how many are fakes.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2246 Posts
Posted 04/29/2018   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder why there isn't anything comparable for stamps?

You yourself are of course welcome to collect eBay data and present a statistical analysis online. The sample number looks large, but Roman coins are a drop in the bucket against the overall US coin market. The author gives some off-the-wall stats for things that most collectors don't bother with. A breakdown of coins of Trajan by sales to current countries? Maybe that's the author's favorite era. Distribution of prices of coins by emperor is not a very useful or meaningful stat.

Quote:
I would like to know how many are fakes.

For Roman coins, probably far less than you might expect. Anthony's is in the coin business, too, though. There are lots and lots of corroded/badly oxidized coins around, fun to rummage through and try to identify, but worth little. There are fair number of some pretty nice quality ones that are only worth a few dollars. People get excited about Roman gold coins, but the percentage of gold in many of them is relatively low and their prices often just mostly reflect the amount of gold within. In this world, the problems are more about misidentification (easy), overgrading and overpricing (same old thing) and sales of stolen high-end coins.
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
751 Posts
Posted 04/30/2018   01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder why there isn't anything comparable for stamps?

Two reasons

1) Because it is hell of a job to collect and analyze the data properly.

For example earlier this year I did a small study (with limited data set of ~50 stamps) on how accurate catalog given perforation figures are - collecting the raw dataset alone took six hours (measuring actual stamps accurately and checking them), then I did the cross-comparison and analysis, wrote the study etc. The resulting four page article might not seem much, but all in all I worked a couple of weeks with it.

And the time I analyzed 650,000 records of stamp catalogue data... I spend nearly a year just 'analyzing and understanding' the data. And I've already written a number of studies from that data (and more is to come as I continue to learn/digest all the information).

And the longest (stamp related) studies I've worked have taken nearly twenty years of ongoing data collecting & analysis...

2) If you want something specific, it is usually up to YOU to do the study

What kind of studies we collectors do usually boils down to personal interest.

-k-
Collecting the world 1840 to date one stamp at a time.
Author & owner of Stamp Collecting Blog
Edited by scb - 04/30/2018 01:19 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 856Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05