Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sometimes you have to do the right thing (RJA series)  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3048 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp sold at the minimum with just one bidder.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   06:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like the normal level for the stamp in its condition.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4875 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually it really isn't, it's a genuinely rare stamp. Even in that condition it should have been worth somewhat more.
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even in that condition it should have been worth somewhat more.

Which really surprised me that there wasn't any competition.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1110 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what the seller sent me today:

I'm glad that she got a fair price for her stamp.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4875 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Barely. I am also amazed that no one bid on it. It should have brought about twice what it did bring.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1110 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It should have brought about twice what it did bring.

Quote:
Which really surprised me that there wasn't any competition.

Quote:
Even in that condition it should have been worth somewhat more.

So... the implication is that eBay isn't the best platform for selling rare revenue stamps then?

Hmmm, go figure.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have found that timing and/or luck play a large part in eBay auctions.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes its just auction pyschology, if it had stayed at the original list price, spirited bidding may have pushed it above the sales price. A low starting bid may increase competition.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1093 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For any successful auction you need 2 or more potential buyers at a given price range, in order to bid up the price. If only 1 shows up, you get a sale at the opening bid.

It can be a trick, especially for more specialized material, to get the right buyers all focused in the same place at the same time. With eBay, there is no advertising to promote the fact that a particular item is for sale at a particular time.

This is where the major auction houses clearly provide a major value-add above eBay, in that they promote sales at specific times, targeted at certain audiences, for maximum participation.

I wonder if some eBay sellers in general, might consider doing promotion for certain special items, or groups of items when they come up for sale, and have the sale at a pre-determined time....
Valued Member
111 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fredc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay is really hard to deal with.... they allow somuch fraudulent activity- I wish we had more regulation and fairness.
Pillar Of The Community
1599 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Auction realizations on eBay would be much healTheir in general if eBay actually made some effort to clean up the bad actors that permeate it. I for one stopped buying on eBay because everything for the most part must be approached with a jaundiced eye which means conservative bidding in order to mitigate potential losses due to not getting what an item was purported to be. They are their own worst enemy and do a great disservice to honest sellers by refusing to address the fraud, scamming, misrepresentations etc..
Valued Member
Turkey
437 Posts
Posted 05/18/2018   01:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Before this thread goes even farther off track....

James Drummond - good for you! It is rare that we see decent behavior in the stamp world, and you exemplify the type of behavior we only dream of seeing. What you did was certainly not required - we live in a world of everyone for themselves - which is absolutely acceptable in a venue such as eBay. You went above & beyond what was expected; if the world is still spinning in the proper direction, then this extraordinary act of kindness will come back to you in spades...

Out of curiosity - can we assume you already own one of these stamps? One of the ones you showed in your census? (Which one??)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1110 Posts
Posted 05/18/2018   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which one??

Hi

Stamp number eight.

Jim
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
Posted 05/18/2018   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I asked the seller if she had a backstory on this stamp and this is what she wrote:

When I was a teenager in the 50s, I had a stamp collection, lovingly kept in my Mingus album. I purchased two Harris albums, full of stamps, in the 70s at yard sales to introduce our two sons to collecting.The stamp must have been on one of the albums.

I dug out my stamp collection in 2013, to cope with fear when my husband had to go to an Alzheimer's home.

Oh to make such a find!!!!!!!!!!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05