Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1857 Plate 5 Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 106 / Views: 9,575Next Topic
Page: of 8
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
Posted 10/30/2022   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
casper123 - You were right to persist, and I think you are right that it is 11L8. It is actually an excellent match. I looked only briefly at 11L8 earlier because Doporto's example showed such a prominent blur in the RLC, and there is only a trace of it on your stamp. It's a good lesson for me - blurs can vary a lot in intensity.

You didn't bring attention to it, but there is also a dot between ornaments "L" and "M" on your stamp that matches Neinken's 11L8 map. Doporto also notes it on his example.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 10/31/2022   9:01 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Plate 5 strip had been plated correctly, it was just a mistake in the Siegel description. I would say that the pair is indeed 47-57R5 but I would like to see a better image. Perhaps you could email a high res scan?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
918 Posts
Posted 11/02/2022   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Missed out on the bidding on the beautiful 63R5 type Va last week, which went for $71 - MNG. Hope someone here nabbed it,

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up another #24 Type V that I felt had such a sharp impression that it must be from Plate 5. It is a "D" relief, but I can't find a really good match with the Neinken maps. 33L5 is a fair match and is my best guess.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   1:48 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be pretty surprised if that turned out to be a Plate 5 stamp. The impression is just not sharp enough.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may be right, Winston. I have a hard time with all of the Type V plates. The side marks on my stamp were just so strong that I didn't think it was a Plate 8, and I didn't think it had the characteristics of a Plate 7 at all. I'll look closer at the other plates, but please let me know what you think it might be.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1638 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
widglo, it's hard for my eyes to tell for sure, but it looks like there may be the characteristic Plate 7 dot below the frame line under the O of ONE.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   01:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dudley - I've looked under at that area under the microscope. I can see some dark spots in the cancel, but I couldn't see anything that was convincingly blue ink. There are two very tiny dots of blue surrounded by a thin blue circle under the right side of the "O". I suppose it could be what is left of the dot like you see under 78L7 or 80L7. This location of the dot appears to me fainter and more medial than the dot under the "O" in the 4th row.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1638 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
widglo, I agree that I do not see it under high magnification.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dudley - I do think that you are right that my example is a Plate 7 stamp. That was actually my first thought because of the very distinct side scratches. This fooled me into thinking that the impression was better than it really is, and I decided on Plate 5.

I also think that you may be right that the faint circle under the "O" is the trace of a worn dot. I found something on my example that I wonder is the scratch Neinken points out in his map of 32L7.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
918 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
widglo46 - the closest I can come is 39R7. Dudley's suggestion about Plate 7 led me to the 4th row and esp. the right pane.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Casper123 - I think you nailed it. Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   11:50 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely looks pretty good from here!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
Posted 11/30/2022   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp that I posted on 3/26/2022 which I thought was a Plate 5 (13L5 or 15L5) I now think is a Plate 8. Winston made me rethink how I was judging the impression on #24's - stamps that are well inked can look very pretty, but it doesn't mean they are sharp impressions. The stamp I'm referring to I now think is more likely 18L8. The dot in the "O" of ONE and a line through ornaments "F" and "G" match well with dopoto's example.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1096 Posts
Posted 12/04/2022   5:52 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thought I'd get some opinions on this one. I've found very few Type V Plate 5's, but I think I might have one here. No image on Doporto's site, and I've skimmed back through this thread and no images here either, but the top seems to be a pretty good match in Neinken for 24L5.

Honestly, all of the mottling, I thought Plate 7, but there isn't any C relief on Plate 7 with the markings in the UL like this one. I think the arrows are a match for Neinken 24L5

Matches on the upper right:

Matches around Ornaments LMN:

Match, I think in "C" of CENT and poss match with the "E":

Lower left may have a match in EFG, but the cancel is a mess and it's too hard to see.

So, I'm thinking 24L5. Agree??
Thanks for taking a look!
Ray
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 106 / Views: 9,575Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05